2017 Arkansas Code
Title 18 - Property
Subtitle 2 - Real Property
Chapter 15 - Eminent Domain
Subchapter 3 - Municipal Corporations Generally
§ 18-15-307. Compensation for and possession of property
- (a) As soon as the amount of compensation that may be due to the owners of the property taken, or to any of them, shall have been ascertained by the jury, the court shall make such order as to its payment or deposit as shall be deemed right and proper in respect to the time and place of payment and the proportion to which each owner is entitled and may require adverse claimants of any part of the money or property to interplead, so as to fully settle and determine their rights and interests according to equity and justice.
- (b) The court may direct the time and manner in which possession of the property condemned shall be taken or delivered and may, if necessary, enforce any order giving possession.
- (c) The costs occasioned by the assessment shall be paid by the corporation, and, as to the other costs which may arise, they shall be charged or taxed as the court may direct.
- (1) No delay in making an assessment of compensation or in taking possession shall be occasioned by any doubt which may arise as to ownership of the property, or any part thereof, or as to the interests of the respective owners.
- (2) However, in cases in which ownership of the property is doubted, the court shall require a deposit of the money allowed as compensation for the whole property in dispute.
- (e) In all cases, as soon as the corporation has paid the compensation assessed or secured the payment by a deposit of money under the order of the court, possession of the property may be taken and the public work or improvement progress.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.