There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Arkansas Code
Title 17 - Professions, Occupations, and Businesses
Subtitle 2 - Nonmedical Professions
Chapter 27 - Counselors
Subchapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 17-27-103. Exemptions
Universal Citation: AR Code § 17-27-103 (2017)
- (a) This chapter shall not be applicable to persons engaged in counseling individuals or groups concerning weight loss, weight control, or nutrition education, nor to persons whose counseling activities are confined to the area of alcohol and drug abuse.
- (b) Nothing in § 17-27-104 shall be construed to preclude the advertising of services or to limit:
- (1) The professional pursuits of administrators, teachers, and school counselors certified by the Department of Education within the scope of their duties in recognized public and private schools;
- (2) Nonresident persons engaged in consulting or research activities in counseling for a period not greater than thirty (30) days in a calendar year;
- (3) Clergymen insofar as their activities and services are a part of the official duties in salaried positions;
- (4) Practitioners of medicine;
- (5) Psychologists;
- (6) Social workers;
- (7) Listed Christian Science practitioners insofar as their activities and services are a part of the official duties;
- (8) Individuals offering volunteer services who are approved by the organization or agency for whom the service is rendered;
- (9) Persons in the employ of the federal, state, or local government or accredited institutions of higher education, insofar as their activities and services are a part of the official duties in salaried positions; or
- (10) Other professionals, provided that:
- (A) Such persons hold valid licenses, certificates, or registrations in the State of Arkansas and are operating within the scope of their professional duties; and
- (B) The title "licensed professional counselor", "licensed associate counselor", "licensed marriage and family therapist", or "licensed associate marriage and family therapist" is not used.
- (c) Students engaged in counselor training programs and other persons preparing for the profession of licensed counselor may perform as part of their training the functions specified in § 17-27-102, provided that such functions are performed under supervision of a licensed professional counselor.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.