2017 Arkansas Code
Title 14 - Local Government
Subtitle 3 - Municipal Government
Chapter 42 - Government of Municipalities Generally
Subchapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 14-42-106. Oath and bond required
- (a) All officers elected or appointed in any municipal corporation shall take the oath or affirmation prescribed for officers by the Arkansas Constitution.
- (b) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (b)(2) of this section, the officers shall take their oaths before:
- (A) The Secretary of State or his or her official designee;
- (B) A justice or judge;
- (C) A judge of the county court;
- (D) A clerk of the:
- (i) County court;
- (ii) Circuit court; or
- (iii) City of the first class;
- (E) A recorder of:
- (i) A city of the second class; or
- (ii) An incorporated town; or
- (F) A justice of the peace.
- (2) The council members also may take their oaths before the mayor of the municipality.
- (c) The council members of a municipal corporation may require from the officers, as they think proper, a bond with good and sufficient security and with a proper penalty for the faithful discharge of their office and duty.
- (d) The council members shall have the power to declare the office of any elected or appointed person vacant who shall fail to take the oath of office or give the bond required in this section within ten (10) days of the first day of January after his or her election or within ten (10) days after he or she has been notified of his or her appointment. In such case, the council members shall proceed to appoint as in other cases of vacancy.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.