2017 Arkansas Code
Title 12 - Law Enforcement, Emergency Management, and Military Affairs
Subtitle 2 - Law Enforcement Agencies and Programs
Chapter 9 - Law Enforcement Officer Training and Standards
Subchapter 5 - Management Training and Education
§ 12-9-501. Legislative determination
- (a) The Criminal Justice Institute, an educational entity, was created for the purpose of providing management education and training, technical assistance, practical research and evaluation, a clearinghouse, and computer and forensic education and training for Arkansas law enforcement and national law enforcement.
- (b) The initiatives developed by the Criminal Justice Institute are applicable on a national level, and this application for conceptualization and practice will be through the National Center for Rural Law Enforcement.
- (1) The General Assembly recognizes the importance of providing management, education, and training to law enforcement and, through the initiatives developed by the Criminal Justice Institute, the citizens of the State of Arkansas will be better served.
- (2) These initiatives further the enhancement of the workforce through the developmental process of continuing education by which skills are upgraded and capabilities increased.
- (3) This process will assist law enforcement ability to adapt to an ever-changing environment.
- (d) (1) The General Assembly further recognizes that:
- (A) Law enforcement plays a significant role in preventing and responding to acts of violence, terrorism, and natural disasters that occur on public school campuses; and
- (B) Matters of public school campus safety require specialized education and training for law enforcement officers, school resource officers, and other school personnel who respond to incidents on school campuses:
- (i) To develop and maintain strong partnerships between school personnel and law enforcement in preventing and responding to acts of violence, terrorism, and natural disaster that occur on public school campuses; and
- (ii) For law enforcement officers to operate effectively in a school setting.
- (2) Initiatives of the Criminal Justice Institute for specialized education and training on public school campus safety will enhance citizen cooperation and understanding of law enforcement in these areas and other issues of crime and violence against school children.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.