2016 Arkansas Code
Title 25 - State Government
Chapter 15 - Administrative Procedures
Subchapter 1 - -- General Provisions
§ 25-15-104. Subpoena powers
(a) (1) The following boards and commissions shall have the power to issue subpoenas and bring before the board or commission as a witness any person in this state:
(A) Auctioneer's Licensing Board, § 17-17-201 et seq.;
(B) State Athletic Commission, § 17-22-201 et seq.;
(C) Cosmetology Technical Advisory Committee, § 17-26-201 et seq.;
(D) Arkansas Board of Examiners in Counseling, § 17-27-201 et seq.;
(E) State Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors, § 17-29-201 et seq.;
(F) Committee of Plumbing Examiners of the State Board of Health, § 17-38-202;
(G) Arkansas Social Work Licensing Board, § 17-103-201 et seq.;
(H) HVACR Licensing Board, § 17-33-201 et seq.;
(I) Liquefied Petroleum Gas Board, § 15-75-201 et seq.;
(J) Judicial Discipline and Disability Commission, Arkansas Constitution, Amendment 66, and § 16-10-401 et seq.;
(K) Veterinary Medical Examining Board, § 17-101-201 et seq.;
(L) Arkansas Board of Dispensing Opticians, § 17-89-201 et seq.;
(M) State Board of Election Commissioners, § 7-4-101 et seq.; and
(N) State Board of Health, § 20-7-101 et seq.
(2) These boards and commissions shall provide by regulation for the issuance of a subpoena upon the request of any party to a proceeding pending before the board or commission or at the request of the board or commission.
(3) The subpoena shall:
(A) Be in the name of the board or commission;
(B) State the name of the board or commission and the name of the proceeding; and
(C) (i) Command each person to whom it is directed to give testimony at the time and place specified in the subpoena in one (1) of the following ways:
(a) In person;
(b) Before a certified court reporter under oath at the place of the witness's residence or employment;
(c) By video-taped deposition at the place of the witness's residence or employment; or
(d) By live video communications from the witness' residence, place of employment, or a nearby facility capable of providing video transmission to the state agency that has subpoenaed the witness.
(ii) The manner of providing testimony under the subpoena shall be conducted by in person testimony unless another manner is agreed upon by the board or commission and the person who is the subject of the subpoena.
(4) The subpoena may require the witness to bring with him or her any book, writing, or other thing under his or her control that he or she is bound by law to produce in evidence.
(5) Service of the subpoena shall be in the manner as now provided by statute or rule for the service of subpoenas in civil cases.
(b) (1) A witness who has been served by subpoena in the manner provided by law and who appears in person to testify at the trial or cause pending before the board or commission shall be paid or tendered the legal fees for travel and attendance as provided by law.
(2) In the event a witness has been served with subpoenas under this section and fails to provide testimony in obedience to the subpoena, the board or commission may apply to the circuit court of the county wherein the board or commission is having its meeting for an order causing the arrest of the witness and directing that the witness be brought before the court.
(3) The court shall have the power to punish the disobedient witness for contempt as provided by the Arkansas Rules of Civil Procedure.
(4) A witness who is served with a subpoena under this section may challenge the validity of the subpoena in the circuit court of the county where the board or commission is having its meeting or the Pulaski County Circuit Court.
(c) This section is intended to be supplemental and add the power to issue subpoenas to the various chapters of the Code that do not now provide the power to do so. This section shall not repeal any law or part of laws now in existence.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.