2016 Arkansas Code
Title 25 - State Government
Chapter 15 - Administrative Procedures
Subchapter 1 - -- General Provisions
§ 25-15-101. Interpreters generally

AR Code § 25-15-101 (2016) What's This?

(a) As used in this section, "interpreter" means an interpreter as defined in § 25-15-102.

(b) A person who cannot speak or understand the English language or who because of hearing, speaking, or other impairment has difficulty in communicating with other persons and who is a party to a civil proceeding or a witness in a civil proceeding is entitled to an interpreter to assist that person throughout the proceeding.

(c) (1) An interpreter may be retained by the party or witness himself or herself or, if the person is unable to pay for an interpreter, may be appointed by the administrative board or agency before which the proceeding is pending.

(2) If an interpreter is appointed by the board or agency, the fee for the services of the interpreter shall be set by the board or agency and be paid from funds available to the board or agency or be paid in any other manner ordered by the board or agency.

(d) An administrative agency may inquire into the qualifications and integrity of an interpreter and may disqualify any person for cause from serving as an interpreter.

(e) An interpreter for another person who is either a party or a witness in an administrative proceeding under this section shall take the following oath:

"Do you solemnly swear (or affirm) that you will justly, truly, and impartially interpret to .................the oath about to be administered to him (her), and the questions which may be asked him (her), and the answers that he (she) shall give to such questions, relative to the cause now under consideration before this board (agency), so help you God (or under the pains and penalties of perjury)?"

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.