2016 Arkansas Code
Title 23 - Public Utilities and Regulated Industries
Subtitle 4 - Miscellaneous Regulated Industries
Chapter 110 - Arkansas Horse Racing Law
Subchapter 4 - -- Conduct of Meets
§ 23-110-405. Wagering -- Penalty for improper wagering
(a) (1) Any franchise holder conducting a horse racing meet may provide a place or places in the race meeting grounds or enclosure at which it may conduct and supervise the pari-mutuel or certificate system of wagering.
(2) If conducted under the provisions of this chapter, the pari-mutuel or certificate method of wagering shall not under any circumstances be held or construed to be unlawful, all other laws or parts of laws of the State of Arkansas to the contrary notwithstanding.
(b) (1) With the prior approval of the Arkansas Racing Commission and consistent with applicable federal law, a franchise holder may enter into agreements and arrangements with other parties pursuant to which:
(A) Its patrons may wager on races run at other race tracks that are shown live or in any other manner approved by the commission, by television, or otherwise, at locations on the grounds at the Arkansas race track at any time or times during the calendar year; and
(B) Its races are shown live or in any other manner approved by the commission at other race tracks and locations.
(2) Such agreements and arrangements shall specify all financial, wagering, distribution, and other details that shall govern. To that end, the provisions of §§ 23-110-402 and 23-110-407 and any other inconsistent provisions shall not be applicable to such agreements and arrangements.
(3) (A) For all races simulcast to the grounds of the franchise holder's Arkansas race track from other race tracks and races conducted in the past and rebroadcast by electronic means and shown on a delayed or replayed basis on the grounds of the franchise holder's Arkansas race track under subdivision (b)(1) of this section, the franchise holder shall withhold and pay to the commission as a privilege tax for the use and benefit of the State of Arkansas one percent (1%) of all moneys wagered on the races on the grounds of the franchise holder's Arkansas race track.
(B) The difference between the two percent (2%) rate being withheld and so paid by the franchise holder to the State of Arkansas on wagers on the races described in subdivision (b)(3)(A) of this section under rules and regulations of the commission in effect prior to the enactment of this subdivision (b)(3) and the one percent (1%) rate established in subdivision (b)(3)(A) of this section shall be withheld by the franchise holder from wagers on such races and set aside by the franchise holder in a separate account to be used only for purses and construction, for debt service on money borrowed by the franchise holder for construction, or for promotions to encourage patronage and tourism, in accordance with the provisions of § 23-110-407(a)(3).
(c) No franchise holder shall permit any person under eighteen (18) years of age to be a patron of the pari-mutuel or certificate system of wagering conducted or supervised by it.
(d) (1) (A) However, nothing contained in this section shall be construed to permit the pari-mutuel or certificate method of wagering upon any race track unless the track is licensed as provided by this chapter.
(B) It is declared to be unlawful for any franchise holder to permit, conduct, or supervise upon any race track any pari-mutuel or certificate method of wagering except in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.
(2) (A) There shall be no wagering on the results of any races except under the pari-mutuel or certificate method of wagering as provided for in this section, and then only by the installation and use of equipment approved by the commission.
(B) Any franchise holder using or permitting wagering or any person wagering under any other method at a licensed race track shall be guilty of a Class D felony.
(e) (1) With the prior approval of the commission and pursuant to rules adopted by the commission, a franchise holder's patrons with money on deposit in an account with the franchise holder may place wagers by communication through telephone or other mobile device or through other electronic means on races conducted at the franchise holder's race track facility and horse races or greyhound races at other racetracks, whether or not the patron is located on the grounds of the franchise holder's race track facility when placing the wager.
(2) Wagers accepted by the franchise holder under this subsection shall be treated for all purposes under this chapter as a wager made by the patron on the grounds of the franchise holder's race track facility.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.