2016 Arkansas Code
Title 18 - Property
Subtitle 2 - Real Property
Chapter 14 - Arkansas Time-Share Act
Subchapter 1 - -- General Provisions
§ 18-14-102. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Accommodation" means an apartment, condominium or cooperative unit, cabin, lodge, hotel or motel room, or other private or commercial structure that:
(A) Is affixed to real property;
(B) Is designed for occupancy or use by one (1) or more individuals; and
(C) Is part of a time-share plan;
(2) "Acquisition agent" means a person that by telephone, inducement, solicitation, or otherwise in the ordinary course of business directly tries to encourage a person in this state to attend a sales presentation for a time-share plan;
(3) "Amenities" means a recreational facility made available to purchasers in a time-share plan;
(4) "Association" means a council or an association composed of the owners of time-share interests in a time-share plan;
(5) (A) "Broker" means a person that sells or offers to sell in the ordinary course of business, time-share interests in a time-share plan to a purchaser.
(B) A broker and a sales agent conducting business from a location in this state, whether on a temporary or ongoing basis, are subject to the Real Estate Law, § 17-42-101 et seq.
(C) A violation that results from a time-share activity is not subject to the Real Estate Law, § 17-42-401 et seq.;
(6) (A) "Component site" means a specific geographic location where accommodations that are part of a multisite time-share plan are located.
(B) Separate phases of a single time-share property in a specific geographic location under common management are considered a single component site;
(7) (A) "Developer" means:
(i) A person who establishes a time-share plan, or is in the business of selling time-share interests or that uses a broker to sell time-share interests; or
(ii) A person that succeeds in the developer's interest by sale, lease, assignment, mortgage, or other transfer, if the person:
(a) Offers at least twelve (12) time-share interests in a particular time-share plan; and
(b) Is in the business of selling time-share interests or uses a broker to sell time-share interests.
(B) "Developer" does not include a broker who is in the business of selling time-share interests;
(8) "Exchange agent" means a person that owns or operates an exchange program;
(9) "Exchange program" means a method, arrangement, or procedure for the voluntary exchange of time-share interests among time-share owners;
(10) "Managing agent" means a person responsible for operating and maintaining a time-share property or time-share plan on behalf of the association;
(11) (A) "Offering" means an offer to sell, a solicitation, an inducement, or an advertisement made in this state, whether directly or indirectly or by radio, television, newspaper, magazine, mail, or electronic media, in which a person is given an opportunity or encouraged to acquire a time-share interest.
(B) "Offering" does not include a time-share owner that may refer a person to a developer if the time-share owner's activities are limited to the referral of a prospective purchaser to the developer, the time-share owner receives nominal consideration, and does not refer more than twenty (20) prospective purchasers to the developer annually;
(12) "Person" means one (1) or more natural persons, corporations, partnerships, associations, trusts, other entities, or any combination thereof;
(13) "Project instrument" means a time-share instrument or other applicable document that establishes a time-share plan that contains restrictions or covenants to regulate the use, occupancy, or disposition of a time-share plan, including a declaration, rule, or an amendment thereto, of a condominium, and the articles of incorporation, bylaws, rules of an association, or an amendment thereto;
(14) "Public offering statement" means the statement under § 18-14-404;
(15) "Purchaser" means a person other than a developer or lender who acquires an interest in a time-share plan;
(16) (A) "Reservation system" means the method, arrangement, or procedure where a purchaser is required to compete with other purchasers to reserve an accommodation of a multisite time-share plan for one (1) or more time-share periods regardless of whether the reservation system is operated and maintained by the multisite time-share plan, a managing entity, an exchange company, or other person.
(B) If a purchaser is required to use an exchange program as the principal means of reserving an accommodation and facility of the plan, the arrangement is a reservation system.
(C) If the exchange company uses a mechanism to exchange time-share periods among members of the exchange program, the use of the mechanism is not a reservation system in a multistate time-share plan;
(17) (A) "Time-share estate" means an arrangement by which the purchaser receives a right to occupy a time-share property, together with a real estate interest in the time-share property.
(B) "Time-share estate" includes real property interests held in a trust in which the owners or the owners' association of the time-share plan are the express beneficiaries of that trust and the trustee is independent of the developer.
(C) If the real property interests are held in a trust, the conveyance of the real property to the trust shall be free of financial liens and encumbrances or include a recorded nondisturbance agreement;
(18) "Time-share instrument" means a master deed, master lease, declaration, or other instrument used to establish a time-share plan;
(19) "Time-share interest" means a time-share estate or a time-share use;
(20) (A) "Time-share plan" means an arrangement, plan, scheme, or similar method, excluding an exchange program but including a membership agreement, sale, lease, deed, license, or right-to-use agreement, in which a purchaser, in exchange for consideration, receives an ownership right in or the right to use the accommodations for a period of time less than a year during a given year, but not necessarily consecutive years, regardless of whether the period of time is determined in advance.
(B) A time-share plan may be either a:
(i) "Single site time-share plan" which is the right to use an accommodation at a single time-share property; or
(ii) "Multisite time-share plan" which includes:
(a) A "specific time-share interest" which is the right to use an accommodation at a specific time-share property, together with the use rights in accommodations at one (1) or more other component sites established by or acquired through the reservation system of the time-share plan; or
(b) A "nonspecific time-share interest" which is the right to use accommodations at more than one (1) component site established by or acquired through the reservation system of the time-share plan but does not include the specific right to use any particular accommodations;
(21) "Time-share property" means:
(A) One (1) or more accommodations and related amenities that are subject to a time-share instrument; and
(B) Any other property or property rights appurtenant to the accommodations and amenities; and
(22) "Time-share use" means any arrangement under which the purchaser receives a right to occupy a time-share property but does not receive a time-share estate.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.