2016 Arkansas Code
Title 16 - Practice, Procedure, and Courts
Subtitle 6 - Criminal Procedure Generally
Chapter 87 - Public Defenders
Subchapter 2 - -- Arkansas Public Defender Commission
§ 16-87-202. Arkansas Public Defender Commission -- Fund created
(a) There is hereby created the Arkansas Public Defender Commission.
(b) (1) The commission shall be composed of seven (7) members appointed by the Governor for five-year terms.
(2) At least four (4) members of the commission shall be attorneys who are licensed to practice law in the State of Arkansas and experienced in the defense of persons accused of crimes.
(3) At least one (1) member of the commission shall be a county judge, and at least one (1) member shall be a trial judge who hears criminal cases.
(4) No more than two (2) members of the commission shall be residents of the same congressional district, and no two (2) members of the commission shall be residents of the same county.
(5) A commission member shall be eligible for reappointment and shall continue in office until a successor is appointed and qualified.
(6) The Governor shall designate one (1) commission member to serve as chair.
(c) (1) The commission shall meet at least once each quarter upon the call of the chair.
(2) Commission members shall serve without compensation but may receive expense reimbursement in accordance with § 25-16-901 et seq.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.