2015 Arkansas Code
Title 20 - Public Health And Welfare
Subtitle 2 - Health And Safety
Chapter 8 - State Health Agencies and Programs
Subchapter 3 - Great Strides Grant Program
§ 20-8-301 - Findings.
The General Assembly finds:
(1) That Arkansas consistently ranks among the most unhealthy states in the nation;
(2) That after just one (1) year of regular walking exercise, previously sedentary smokers refrained from smoking at two (2) times the rate of those who received only health education;
(3) That Arkansans who exercise regularly choose walking as their overwhelmingly preferred form of activity;
(4) That women who walk briskly or exercise vigorously may reduce their chances for heart disease by as much as forty percent (40%);
(5) That more than thirty-five percent (35%) of Arkansans do not exercise, placing Arkansas as the sixth most sedentary state in the nation;
(6) That, while people are inactive in all parts of the state, a greater percentage of the population in rural areas is inactive; and
(7) That a reduction in illnesses related to physical inactivity would save Arkansas millions of dollars each year in reduced healthcare costs.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.