2015 Arkansas Code
Title 20 - Public Health And Welfare
Subtitle 2 - Health And Safety
Chapter 25 - Arkansas Manufactured Homes Standards Act
§ 20-25-106 - Arkansas Manufactured Home Commission -- Powers and duties.
(a) (1) The Arkansas Manufactured Home Commission by regulation shall set uniform, reasonable standards for the proper:
(A) (i) Initial installation of new manufactured homes installed in this state.
(ii) The installation standards under subdivision (a)(1)(A)(i) of this section shall equal or exceed installation standards promulgated under the federal standards; and
(B) Secondary installation of used manufactured homes installed in this state.
(2) The commission by regulation shall set the requirements for and require:
(A) Licensing and certification of manufacturers of manufactured homes or modular homes in this state and manufacturers of manufactured homes or modular homes in other states selling them in this state;
(B) Licensing and certification of any retailer, salesperson, and others engaged in the sale of manufactured homes or modular homes for sale in this state; and
(C) Licensing, training, and certification of any installer engaged in the installation of manufactured homes or modular homes in this state.
(b) The commission shall require bonding or other reasonable methods to assure that manufacturers, retailers, installers, and others licensed or certified under this chapter will be financially responsible to fully comply with the code.
(c) (1) The commission shall by regulation establish procedures for the investigation and timely resolution of:
(A) Construction or installation defects in manufactured homes that are reported to the commission during the one-year period beginning on the date of installation of the home, including:
(i) Violations of the federal standards; and
(ii) Violations of the rules governing the installation of manufactured homes promulgated by the commission; and
(B) Disputes among manufacturers, retailers, and installers of manufactured homes regarding responsibility for the correction or repair of construction or installation defects in manufactured homes that are reported to the commission during the one-year period beginning on the date of installation of the home.
(2) The commission shall by regulation establish procedures for the timely inspection and certification of a percentage of the initial installations of new manufactured homes installed in the state on a sample basis to assure compliance with installation standards adopted by the commission and to comply with requirements set forth by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
(3) The investigations, required corrections, and remedial actions shall be handled in accordance with the code or the regulations promulgated under the code.
(d) (1) The commission or subcommittee of the commission shall convene hearings and issue orders in cases of violations of this chapter or of the code or the regulations promulgated by the commission.
(2) The commission or subcommittee of the commission shall convene hearings, and the commission shall issue orders on appeals of determinations of responsibility for the correction of defects by manufacturers, retailers, and the Director of the Arkansas Manufactured Home Commission and his or her staff.
(e) The commission shall delegate its authority, except the authority to adopt standards, rules, and regulations, to the director.
(f) The commission shall have the power to suspend, revoke, or refuse to renew the license or certification under this chapter of any person who is found to have been guilty of:
(1) Fraud, misrepresentation, or deception in obtaining a license or certification;
(2) Accepting a manufactured or modular home, directly or indirectly, from a manufacturer not certified by the state pursuant to this chapter;
(3) Selling or delivering, directly or indirectly, a manufactured or modular home to a retailer not certified by the state pursuant to this chapter; or
(4) Violating any provision of this chapter or rules or regulations promulgated under this chapter.
(g) (1) In lieu of suspension, revocation, or refusal to renew a license certification, the commission shall have the authority to impose a monetary penalty and may suspend, refuse to renew, or revoke the license or certification until the penalty is paid to the commission. The penalty shall be imposed only if the commission formally finds that the public welfare would not be impaired by the imposition of a monetary penalty rather than suspension, refusal to renew, or revocation and that payment of the monetary penalty should achieve the desired disciplinary purpose.
(2) No monetary penalty imposed by the commission shall exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) per violation. Each separate transaction shall constitute a separate violation.
(3) The commission shall not impose a civil penalty upon any person whose license or certification is suspended, revoked, or not renewed under this section.
(h) Regarding any violation of this chapter or the Arkansas Manufactured Home Recovery Act, § 20-29-101 et seq., the commission shall have the power to issue subpoenas and bring before the commission as a witness any person in the state and may require the witness to bring with him or her any book, writing, or other thing under his or her control which he or she is bound by law to produce in evidence.
(i) The commission shall have the power to file suit in the Pulaski County Circuit Court to obtain a judgment for the amount of any penalty not paid within thirty (30) days of service of the order assessing the monetary penalty unless a court enters a stay pursuant to this section.
(j) All hearings and appeals therefrom under this section shall be pursuant to the Arkansas Administrative Procedure Act, § 25-15-201 et seq.
(k) The commission may require manufacturers, distributors, and retailers in this state to make reports as it deems necessary. The reports shall be filed with the director.
(l) No license or certification shall be transferred or assigned to any other person.
(m) (1) (A) The commission shall have the authority to file suit in the Pulaski County Circuit Court to enjoin any manufacturer, retailer, or installer from doing business in this state without having first secured the required license or certification, or both.
(B) The commission shall have the authority to collect from the manufacturer, retailer, or installer all fees and assessments which the commission would have collected had the manufacturer, retailer, or installer secured the required license or certification, or both.
(2) The commission shall have the authority to impose a monetary penalty not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) per violation by an unlicensed manufacturer, retailer, or installer of any provision of this chapter or of the regulations promulgated under this chapter.
(n) The commission shall adopt regulations, issue orders, and otherwise act as necessary to:
(1) Comply with the National Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards Act of 1974, 42 U.S.C. § 5401 et seq., including adopting and enforcing rules reasonably required to implement the notification and correction procedures provided by 42 U.S.C. § 5414; and
(2) Provide for the effective enforcement of all the Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards, 24 C.F.R. Part 3280, in order to have the state plan authorized by the National Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards Act of 1974, 42 U.S.C. § 5401 et seq., approved by the Secretary of the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.