2015 Arkansas Code
Title 18 - Property
Subtitle 2 - Real Property
Chapter 12 - Conveyances
Subchapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 18-12-108 - Scrivener's affidavits -- Definition.
(a) As used in this section, "scrivener's affidavit" means a sworn and acknowledged affidavit relating to:
(1) The identification, marital status, heirship, relation, death, or the time of death of a person who is a party to an instrument affecting the title to real property;
(2) The identification of a corporation or other legal entity that is a party to an instrument affecting the title to real property; or
(3) The legal description to real property.
(b) A scrivener's affidavit may be executed and recorded by a:
(1) Licensed attorney who prepared the original instrument;
(2) Licensed attorney who represents a party to the original instrument;
(3) Party to the original instrument if the party prepared the original instrument; or
(4) Current employee of a title company that completed the form of the original instrument.
(c) A scrivener's affidavit shall:
(1) Be sworn to and acknowledged before a person authorized to administer an oath under the laws of this state;
(2) Conspicuously identify in its title that it is a "Scrivener's Affidavit"; and
(3) Contain the following information concerning the original instrument:
(A) The name of the person or entity that completed or prepared the original instrument;
(B) The names of all parties to the original instrument;
(C) The recording information, including the recording date of the original instrument; and
(D) A brief description of each error that the scrivener's affidavit is designed to correct.
(d) A scrivener's affidavit may be prepared in substantially the following form:
"SCRIVENER'S ERROR AFFIDAVIT
(e) A scrivener's affidavit that complies with this section in substantially the form provided by subsection (d) of this section or in a custom form shall be:
(1) Recorded by the county recorder in the land records of the county where the real property is located;
(2) Indexed by the county recorder in the general index under the names of the original parties to the instrument as they are identified in the scrivener's affidavit; and
(3) Admissible as evidence to the same extent as a deed or other instrument recorded pursuant to § 18-12-201 et seq. in an action involving the instrument to which it relates or the title to the real property affected by the instrument.
(f) (1) Except as provided in subdivisions (f)(2) and (3) of this section, notice of the corrective information provided by the scrivener's affidavit is effective at the time the scrivener's affidavit is recorded.
(2) If an error contained in a scrivener's affidavit is of an obvious nature, notice of the corrective information provided by the scrivener's affidavit is effective at the time the original instrument being corrected was recorded.
(3) Subdivision (f)(2) of this section does not apply to a bona fide purchaser for value of real property.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.