2012 Arkansas Code
Title 5 - Criminal Offenses
Subtitle 4 - Offenses Against Property
Chapter 39 - Burglary, Trespass, and Other Intrusions
Subchapter 1 - -- General Provisions
§ 5-39-101 - Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Commercial occupiable structure" means a vehicle, building, or other structure in which:
(A) Any person carries on a business or other calling; or
(B) People assemble for a purpose of business, government, education, religion, entertainment, or public transportation;
(2) (A) "Enter or remain unlawfully" means to enter or remain in or upon premises when not licensed or privileged to enter or remain in or upon the premises.
(B) (i) A person who enters or remains in or upon premises that are at the time open to the public does so with license and privilege, regardless of his or her purpose, unless he or she defies a lawful order not to enter or remain on the premises personally communicated to the person by the owner of the premises or another person authorized by the owner.
(ii) A license or privilege to enter or remain in or upon premises only part of which are open to the public is not a license or privilege to enter or remain in a part of the premises not open to the public.
(C) A person who enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land not fenced or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude an intruder does so with license and privilege unless:
(i) Notice not to enter or remain is personally communicated to the person by the owner or a person authorized by the owner; or
(ii) Notice is given by posting in a conspicuous manner;
(3) "Premises" means an occupiable structure and any real property;
(4) (A) "Residential occupiable structure" means a vehicle, building, or other structure:
(i) In which any person lives; or
(ii) That is customarily used for overnight accommodation of a person whether or not a person is actually present.
(B) "Residential occupiable structure" includes each unit of a residential occupiable structure divided into a separately occupied unit; and
(5) "Vehicle" means any craft or device designed for the transportation of a person or property across land or water or through the air.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.