2012 Arkansas Code
Title 27 - Transportation
Subtitle 4 - Motor Vehicular Traffic
Chapter 51 - Operation Of Vehicles -- Rules Of The Road
Subchapter 3 - -- Driving, Overtaking, and Passing
§ 27-51-307 - Restrictions on passing overtaken vehicle on left.
(a) (1) No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center of the roadway in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless the left side is clearly visible and is free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit overtaking and passing to be completely made without interfering with the safe operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction or any vehicle overtaken.
(2) In every event, the overtaking vehicle must return to the right-hand side of the roadway before coming within one hundred feet (100') of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction.
(b) No vehicle shall, in overtaking and passing another vehicle or at any other time, except upon a one-way roadway, be driven to the left side of the roadway, under the following conditions:
(1) When approaching the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the highway where the driver's view along the highway is obstructed;
(2) When approaching within one hundred feet (100') of or traversing any intersection or railroad grade crossing;
(3) When the view is obstructed upon approaching within one hundred feet (100') of any bridge, viaduct, or tunnel; and
(4) Where official signs are in place directing that traffic keep to the right or a distinctive center line is marked, which distinctive lines also so direct traffic as declared in the sign manual adopted by the State Highway Commission.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.