2012 Arkansas Code
Title 20 - Public Health And Welfare
Subtitle 2 - Health And Safety
Chapter 7 - State Board of Health -- Department of Health
Subchapter 1 - -- General Provisions
§ 20-7-138 - Low-voltage carbon monoxide detectors required in new home construction.
(a) For a new home constructed after January 1, 2012, a low-voltage carbon monoxide alarm shall be installed on each floor.
(b) A low-voltage carbon monoxide alarm may receive primary power from:
(1) The building wiring if the wiring is served from an on-site electrical power system; or
(2) A battery.
(c) (1) A combination smoke and low-voltage carbon monoxide alarm may be installed if the manufacturer lists the alarm for combination use.
(2) A combination smoke and low-voltage carbon monoxide alarm shall have distinctly different alarm signals for smoke alarm or low-voltage carbon monoxide alarm activation.
(d) A low-voltage carbon monoxide alarm shall not be located:
(1) Within or near the openings to garages, bathrooms, or furnace rooms;
(2) In or near locations specified as "prohibited", "not recommended", or a similar specification in the manufacturer's installation instructions; or
(3) More than three (3) feet above the floor.
(e) Except for service or repair, a low-voltage carbon monoxide alarm shall not be removed or disabled.
(f) A person who pleads guilty or nolo contendere to or is found guilty of violating this section is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(g) This section does not apply to all-electric homes.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.