2010 Arkansas Code
6-61-207. Role and scope designations.
Title 6 - Education
Subtitle 5 - Postsecondary And Higher Education Generally
Chapter 61 - Postsecondary Institutions Generally
Subchapter 2 - Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board
§ 6-61-207 - Role and scope designations.
(a) (1) In order to promote a coordinated system of higher education in Arkansas and to assure an orderly and effective development of each of the publicly supported institutions of higher education, the Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board shall have the power and duty to establish, in consultation with college and university personnel, appropriate role and scope designations within which boards of trustees must operate the institution or institutions under their jurisdiction.
(2) The board shall establish such role and scope designations by January 1, 1990. The designations may be changed at any time as determined by the board. They shall be fully reviewed at least once every five (5) years.
(3) Prior to their establishment of or making a change in role and scope designations, the board shall carefully study the change in consultation with institutional personnel, announce the intent to consider a change, and publicly reveal the change that is being proposed at a regular quarterly meeting, with the vote to come no sooner than the next regular quarterly meeting.
(b) To assist the board and the Department of Higher Education in their effort to promote a coordinated system of higher education in Arkansas that addresses and responds to the changing economic needs of the state and the new economy, the Arkansas Economic Development Commission shall provide the Department of Higher Education a list of the state's overall and regional economic development goals within ten (10) days of August 12, 2005, and by September 1 of each year thereafter.
(c) (1) The Department of Higher Education may retain the services of consultants or other experts as may be necessary to carry out the review, and the Department of Higher Education staff shall work directly with the consultants to handle the logistics of needed discussion groups, meeting minutes, and recommendation dissemination.
(2) The review process shall include an opportunity for institutions to provide input, as well as a time for public and business comment.
(3) Upon completion of the review, the Department of Higher Education shall provide a report regarding its findings to the board, the Governor, the cochairs of the Legislative Council, and the Director of the Bureau of Legislative Research.
(4) The requirements for a review under this section shall be contingent upon the appropriation and availability of funding for that purpose.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.