2010 Arkansas Code
27-50-1210. Nonjudicial public sale.
Title 27 - Transportation
Subtitle 4 - Motor Vehicular Traffic
Chapter 50 - Penalties And Enforcement
Subchapter 12 - Removal of Unattended or Abandoned Vehicles
§ 27-50-1210 - Nonjudicial public sale.
(a) After complying with the requirements of foreclosure of liens provided by this subchapter, ownership of the vehicle and its contents shall thereupon vest in the purchaser free of all liens of any nature. Should the nonjudicial public sale produce more funds than the sum of all charges, including the costs of the sale and including a reasonable charge for processing the paperwork, the excess shall be paid as follows:
(1) (A) If the vehicle was removed to an impound lot at the request of a law enforcement agency as authorized by this subchapter, the excess shall be maintained for a period of three (3) years by the entity that operates the impound lot.
(B) If the excess is not claimed during this period by the person legally entitled thereto, the moneys shall be paid to the entity operating the impound lot; or
(2) (A) If the vehicle was removed to a private impound lot pursuant to 27-50-1101, the excess shall be paid to the county clerk to the account of the person legally entitled thereto.
(B) The Unclaimed Property Act, 18-28-201 et seq., shall apply to any unclaimed funds or excess moneys that have been paid to the county clerk.
(b) Should the sale produce the same or less than the sum of all charges:
(1) At the election of the possessory lienholder, the sale of the vehicle may be cancelled and ownership of the vehicle and its contents shall thereupon vest in the possessory lienholder as purchaser free of all liens of any nature; and
(2) The possessory lienholder shall have a valid claim against the owner for the full amount of the charges, including the costs of the sale and including a reasonable charge for processing the paperwork, less the sale price of the vehicle and its contents.
(c) (1) Upon presentation of documentation to the Office of Motor Vehicle to the effect that the sale procedure provided in this subsection has been complied with protecting the rights of the owner or lienholder, the purchaser of the vehicle shall be entitled to receive a new title to the vehicle upon meeting other applicable administrative requirements of title and registration laws.
(2) The towing and storage firm shall execute an affidavit stating that the vehicle has been towed and stored as an unattended or abandoned vehicle and that notice has been given as required in this subchapter to the registered owners and all lienholders of record.
(3) The affidavit shall describe the vehicle by make, year, model, and vehicle identification number.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.