2010 Arkansas Code
25-7-102. Center for Workforce Excellence.
Title 25 - State Government
Chapter 7 - Department Of Higher Education
§ 25-7-102 - Center for Workforce Excellence.
(a) For the purpose of this section, "center" means the Center for Workforce Excellence.
(b) (1) There is created the Center for Workforce Excellence which shall conduct a pilot project to assist industrial development through the coordination of training programs and services.
(2) The pilot project shall be a cooperative effort among Ouachita Technical College, Malvern High School, the Grande Nutrino Project Consortium, private industry, and other appropriate groups.
(3) Local industrial groups, local governmental units, and private enterprise should provide much of the financial support needed for the pilot project. Such support should include financial support for items such as office space, expenses, and utilities.
(4) The Ouachita Technical College Board shall establish guidelines governing the operation of the center.
(c) (1) The goals of the center shall be to:
(A) Facilitate the development of students and workers, members of the "learning force" within Arkansas communities and companies, with a focus on workers' skills and workplace tools of the future, particularly high-level technical training and education; and
(B) Foster skills, knowledge, and understanding relevant to real-world jobs, careers, and lifestyles through the economic competitiveness of students, workers, communities, companies, and associated groups in a global political community.
(2) The center shall develop a strategic management plan to include initial industry services training, with a survey of existing facilities, opportunities for training within the potential project area, and development of a campaign plan to overcome training deficiencies in the areas through reliance on existing resources through the cooperation and development of new training capability through innovative low cost means.
(3) The center shall assist private industry in determining what training services and programs are available, the steps necessary to provide the training services and programs needed by the industry, and how long it would take to develop the needed training services and programs.
(d) (1) The Ouachita Technical College Board shall establish a local advisory committee to provide guidance to the center in implementing the pilot project. The local advisory committee shall include representatives of Ouachita Technical College, Malvern High School, the Grande Nutrino Project Consortium, and private industry. The board may include representatives of other appropriate groups and organizations.
(2) The purpose of the local advisory committee shall be to assist the center in determining the proper focus for industrial development.
(3) The local advisory committee shall make recommendations concerning:
(A) "Soft skills", interpersonal relationships such as discipline, self-reliance, and an ability to communicate properly;
(B) "Hard skills", such as skills required of workers by technical training;
(C) Apprenticeship and internship programs for students and potential workers; and
(D) Other issues concerning the training and development of students and workers.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.