2010 Arkansas Code
25-19-106. Open public meetings.
Title 25 - State Government
Chapter 19 - Freedom of Information Act
§ 25-19-106 - Open public meetings.
(a) Except as otherwise specifically provided by law, all meetings, formal or informal, special or regular, of the governing bodies of all municipalities, counties, townships, and school districts and all boards, bureaus, commissions, or organizations of the State of Arkansas, except grand juries, supported wholly or in part by public funds or expending public funds, shall be public meetings.
(b) (1) The time and place of each regular meeting shall be furnished to anyone who requests the information.
(2) In the event of emergency or special meetings, the person calling the meeting shall notify the representatives of the newspapers, radio stations, and television stations, if any, located in the county in which the meeting is to be held and any news media located elsewhere that cover regular meetings of the governing body and that have requested to be so notified of emergency or special meetings of the time, place, and date of the meeting. Notification shall be made at least two (2) hours before the meeting takes place in order that the public shall have representatives at the meeting.
(c) (1) Executive sessions will be permitted only for the purpose of considering employment, appointment, promotion, demotion, disciplining, or resignation of any public officer or employee. The specific purpose of the executive session shall be announced in public before going into executive session.
(2) (A) Only the person holding the top administrative position in the public agency, department, or office involved, the immediate supervisor of the employee involved, and the employee may be present at the executive session when so requested by the governing body, board, commission, or other public body holding the executive session.
(B) Any person being interviewed for the top administrative position in the public agency, department, or office involved may be present at the executive session when so requested by the governing board, commission, or other public body holding the executive session.
(3) Executive sessions must never be called for the purpose of defeating the reason or the spirit of this chapter.
(4) No resolution, ordinance, rule, contract, regulation, or motion considered or arrived at in executive session will be legal unless, following the executive session, the public body reconvenes in public session and presents and votes on the resolution, ordinance, rule, contract, regulation, or motion.
(5) (A) Boards and commissions of this state may meet in executive session for purposes of preparing examination materials and answers to examination materials that are administered to applicants for licensure from state agencies.
(B) Boards and commissions are excluded from this chapter for the administering of examinations to applicants for licensure.
(6) (A) Subject to the provisions of subdivision (c)(4) of this section, any public agency may meet in executive session for the purpose of considering, evaluating, or discussing matters pertaining to public water system security as described in 25-19-105(b)(18).
(B) This subdivision (c)(6) expires on July 1, 2011.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.