2010 Arkansas Code
23-67-313. Competitive selection.
Title 23 - Public Utilities and Regulated Industries
Subtitle 3 - Insurance
Chapter 67 - Rates and Rating Organizations
Subchapter 3 - Arkansas Workers' Compensation Insurance Plan
§ 23-67-313 - Competitive selection.
(a) The Insurance Commissioner shall make a good faith effort to comply with the intent of the provisions requiring competitive selection of the administrator of the Arkansas Workers' Compensation Insurance Plan and servicing carriers. The administrator and servicing carriers shall be competitively selected no less often than every three (3) years. Consideration for the administrator and servicing carriers shall include cost, finances, operating and service capabilities, and the record of service and other factors deemed necessary for the effective and proper operation of the plan. The commissioner may suspend formal bidding for the administrator provided that:
(1) The commissioner has sought and compared other administrative services available;
(2) The commissioner deems there to have been in the interim a satisfactory improvement in administrator and servicing carrier performance;
(3) The commissioner judges continuation of the present administrator subject to the modifications herein set forth and to hereafter be promulgated by rule and regulation to be in the best interests of Arkansas;
(4) Coverage and service is adequately and properly provided to Arkansas employers entitled to insurance, and coverage is provided in other states for employees of Arkansas employers to the extent possible and the proper coverage is in the best interests of the employers and plan operations. Adequate coverage of employees while working on a temporary or occasional basis in other states is essential to Arkansas employers and employees; and
(5) The administrator has an office in Arkansas and the office has the staff and authority necessary to properly serve Arkansas employers and the commissioner in accordance with the provisions of this act.
(b) The commissioner shall review the plan operations to ensure compliance with this act. The commissioner shall review and report to the Legislative Council and the Senate and House Interim Committees on Insurance and Commerce by September 1 of each year, with the first report to be submitted no later than September 1, 1997, including, but not limited to, the following information:
(1) Competitive selection of the administrator and servicing carriers;
(2) Plan operating performance and service in accordance with the intent of this act, including performance reviews of the administrator, servicing carriers, and plan regulations;
(3) Proper authority and independence of the Arkansas office to properly perform and secure prompt, fair, and reasonable service as required by this act; and
(4) Coverage provided by the plan in other states, including evidence providing that carriers promptly provide coverage for employees of Arkansas employers working in other states as provided in this act.
(c) The commissioner is encouraged to hold public hearings as needed to assist in achieving the objectives of the act and to assist with the review and report provided to the Legislative Council and the Senate and House Interim Committees on Insurance and Commerce.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.