2010 Arkansas Code
20-77-902. Liability for certain acts.
Title 20 - Public Health And Welfare
Subtitle 5 - Social Services
Chapter 77 - Medical Assistance
Subchapter 9 - Medicaid Fraud False Claims Act
§ 20-77-902 - Liability for certain acts.
A person shall be liable to the State of Arkansas, through the Attorney General, for a civil penalty and restitution if he or she:
(1) Knowingly makes or causes to be made any false statement or representation of a material fact in any application for any benefit or payment under the Arkansas Medicaid program;
(2) At any time knowingly makes or causes to be made any false statement or representation of a material fact for use in determining rights to a benefit or payment;
(3) Having knowledge of the occurrence of any event affecting his or her initial or continued right to any benefit or payment or the initial or continued right to any benefit or payment of any other individual in whose behalf he or she has applied for or is receiving a benefit or payment knowingly conceals or fails to disclose that event with an intent fraudulently to secure the benefit or payment either in a greater amount or quantity than is due or when no benefit or payment is authorized;
(4) Having made application to receive any benefit or payment for the use and benefit of another and having received it, knowingly converts the benefit or payment or any part thereof to a use other than for the use and benefit of the other person;
(5) Knowingly presents or causes to be presented a claim for a physician's service for which payment may be made under the program and knows that the individual who furnished the service was not licensed as a physician;
(6) Knowingly solicits or receives any remuneration, including any kickback, bribe, or rebate, directly or indirectly, overtly or covertly, in cash or in kind:
(A) In return for referring an individual to a person for the furnishing or arranging for the furnishing of any item or service for which payment may be made in whole or in part under the program; or
(B) In return for purchasing, leasing, ordering, or arranging for or recommending purchasing, leasing, or ordering any good, facility, service, or item for which payment may be made in whole or in part under the program;
(7) (A) Knowingly offers or pays any remuneration, including any kickback, bribe, or rebate, directly or indirectly, overtly or covertly, in cash or in kind to any person to induce the person:
(i) To refer an individual to a person for the furnishing or arranging for the furnishing of any item or service for which payment may be made in whole or in part under the program; or
(ii) To purchase, lease, order, or arrange for or recommend purchasing, leasing, or ordering any good, facility, service, or item for which payment may be made in whole or in part under the program.
(B) Subdivision (7)(A) of this section shall not apply to:
(i) A discount or other reduction in price obtained by a provider of services or other entity under the program if the reduction in price is properly disclosed and appropriately reflected in the costs claimed or charges made by the provider or entity under the program;
(ii) Any amount paid by an employer to an employee who has a bona fide employment relationship with the employer for employment in the providing of covered items or services; or
(iii) Any amount paid by a vendor of goods or services to a person authorized to act as a purchasing agent for a group of individuals or entities who are furnishing services reimbursed under the program, if:
(a) The person has a written contract with each individual or entity which specifies the amount to be paid the person, which amount may be a fixed amount or a fixed percentage of the value of the purchases made by each individual or entity under the contract; and
(b) In the case of an entity that is a provider of services as defined in 20-9-101, the person discloses, in the form and manner as the Director of the Department of Human Services requires, to the entity and upon request to the director the amount received from each vendor with respect to purchases made by or on behalf of the entity; and
(iv) Any payment practice specified by the director promulgated pursuant to applicable federal or state law;
(8) Knowingly makes or causes to be made or induces or seeks to induce the making of any false statement or representation of a material fact:
(A) With respect to the conditions or operation of any institution, facility, or entity in order that the institution, facility, or entity may qualify either upon initial certification or upon recertification as a hospital, rural primary care hospital, skilled nursing facility, nursing facility, intermediate care facility for the mentally retarded, home health agency, or other entity for which certification is required; or
(B) With respect to information required pursuant to applicable federal and state law, rules, regulations, and provider agreements;
(A) Charges for any service provided to a patient under the program money or other consideration at a rate in excess of the rates established by the state; or
(B) Charges, solicits, accepts, or receives, in addition to any amount otherwise required to be paid under the program, any gift, money, donation, or other consideration other than a charitable, religious, or philanthropic contribution from an organization or from a person unrelated to the patient as a precondition of admitting a patient to a hospital, nursing facility, or intermediate care facility for the mentally retarded or as a requirement for the patient's continued stay in the facility when the cost of the services provided therein to the patient is paid for in whole or in part under the program;
(10) Knowingly makes or causes to be made any false statement or representation of a material fact in any application for benefits or for payment in violation of the rules, regulations, and provider agreements issued by the program or its fiscal agents; or
(A) Participates, directly or indirectly, in the Arkansas Medicaid Program after having pleaded guilty or nolo contendere to or been found guilty of a charge of Medicaid fraud, theft of public benefits, or abuse of adults as defined in the Arkansas Criminal Code, 5-1-101 et seq.; or
(B) As a certified health provider enrolled in the Arkansas Medicaid Program pursuant to Title XIX of the Social Security Act or the fiscal agent of such a provider who employs, engages as an independent contractor, engages as a consultant, or otherwise permits the participation in the business activities of such a provider, any person who has pleaded guilty or nolo contendere to or has been found guilty of a charge of Medicaid fraud, theft of public benefits, or abuse of adults as defined in the Arkansas Criminal Code, 5-1-101 et seq.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.