2010 Arkansas Code
Title 16 - Practice, Procedure, And Courts
Subtitle 3 - Juries And Jurors
Chapter 31 - Juror Qualifications and Exemptions
§ 16-31-102 - Disqualifications.
(a) The following persons are disqualified to act as grand or petit jurors:
(1) Persons who do not meet the qualifications of 16-31-101;
(2) Persons who are unable to speak or understand the English language;
(3) Persons who are unable to read or write the English language, except that the circuit judge, in the exercise of his discretion, may waive these requirements when the persons are otherwise found to be capable of performing the duties of jurors;
(4) Persons who have been convicted of a felony and have not been pardoned;
(5) Persons who are:
(A) Not of good character or approved integrity;
(B) Lacking in sound judgment or reasonable information;
(C) Intemperate; or
(D) Not of good behavior;
(6) Persons who, by reason of a physical or mental disability, are unable to render satisfactory jury service, except that no person shall be disqualified solely on the basis of loss of hearing or sight in any degree; and
(7) Persons who are less than eighteen (18) years of age at the time they are required to appear.
(b) Except by the consent of all the parties, no person shall serve as a petit juror in any case who:
(1) Is related to any party or attorney in the cause within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity;
(2) Is expected to appear as a witness or has been summoned to appear as a witness in the cause;
(3) Has formed or expressed an opinion concerning the matter in controversy which may influence his judgment;
(4) May have a material interest in the outcome of the case;
(5) Is biased or prejudiced for or against any party to the cause or is prevented by any relationship or circumstance from acting impartially; or
(6) Was a petit juror in a former trial of the cause or of another case involving any of the same questions of fact.
(c) Nothing in this section shall limit a court's discretion and obligation to strike jurors for cause for any reason other than solely because of sight or hearing impairment.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.