2010 Arkansas Code
16-13-702. Immediate payment.
Title 16 - Practice, Procedure, And Courts
Subtitle 2 - Courts and Court Officers
Chapter 13 - Circuit Courts
Subchapter 7 - Enforcement of Fines
§ 16-13-702 - Immediate payment.
(a) (1) When a court has imposed a fine, as described in 16-13-701, the imposition of such a fine constitutes an order to pay the full amount of the fine in accordance with this subchapter.
(2) Following imposition of the fine, the court shall inform the defendant that full payment of the fine is due immediately and shall inquire of the defendant what arrangements he or she has made to comply with the court's order to pay the fine.
(3) Without utilizing the provisions of 16-13-704, the court may allow the defendant a period of time, not to extend beyond the time of the close of the clerk's office on the following day, within which to return to the court and tender payment of the fine.
(4) (A) (i) If the defendant fails to appear as directed, the court shall issue an order of arrest.
(ii) The arrest order shall be carried out by the sheriff.
(B) The court may also, upon the defendant's failure to appear, utilize any of the enforcement mechanisms authorized by this subchapter.
(5) (A) If the defendant claims an inability to pay the fine, the court shall inquire into the defendant's ability to pay and shall make a determination of the defendant's financial ability to pay the fine.
(B) If the court finds that the defendant has the financial ability to make immediate payment of the fine in full, the court shall order him or her to pay the fine.
(C) Failure or refusal to pay as ordered by the court shall subject the defendant to imprisonment, as provided in 16-13-703.
(b) (1) When a corporation is sentenced to pay a fine or costs, it is the duty of the person authorized to make disbursement from the assets of the corporation to pay the fine or costs.
(2) If such disbursements require approval of the board of directors, it is the duty of the board to authorize disbursements to pay the fine or costs.
(3) Failure to comply with the duties imposed by this subsection shall render the person or directors subject to imprisonment under 16-13-703.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.