2021 Arizona Revised Statutes
Title 26 - Military Affairs and Emergency Management
§ 26-105 - Border security fund; exemption; reimbursement
26-105. Border security fund; exemption; reimbursement
A. The border security fund is established and consists of legislative appropriations, gifts, grants and other donations. The department of emergency and military affairs shall administer the fund. Monies in the fund are continuously appropriated to the department of emergency and military affairs and may be used for the following purposes:
1. Preventing human trafficking.
2. Preventing entry into the United States of:
(a) Aliens who are unlawfully present in the United States.
(b) Terrorists and instruments of terrorism.
(c) Contraband, including narcotics and other controlled substances.
3. Planning, designing, constructing and maintaining transportation, technology and commercial vehicle inspection infrastructure near this state's international border.
4. Clearing nonindigenous plants.
5. Administering and managing the construction and maintenance of a physical border fence.
6. Awarding grants to counties to provide housing in secure facilities.
7. Awarding grants to counties for prosecuting individuals who commit crimes listed in this subsection.
B. The department of emergency and military affairs must consult with the following entities before spending any monies from the fund for the purpose provided in:
1. Subsection A of this section, the department of public safety.
2. Subsection A, paragraph 3 of this section, the department of transportation.
3. Subsection A, paragraph 4 of this section, the Arizona department of forestry and fire management.
4. Subsection A, paragraph 5, 6 or 7 of this section, the department of administration.
C. Monies in the fund are exempt from the provisions of section 35-190 relating to lapsing of appropriations.
D. The governor shall request the federal government to reimburse state monies spent from the fund pursuant to this section. The reimbursements shall be deposited, pursuant to sections 35-146 and 35-147, in the state general fund.