2017 Arizona Revised Statutes
Title 46 - Welfare
§ 46-300 Sanctions
A. The department shall impose a series of graduated sanctions as described in subsection D of this section for any noncompliance with:
1. The child support enforcement efforts required by section 46-292, subsection D unless good cause is established as provided in section 46-292, subsections F and G.
2. The work activities requirements described in section 46-299, unless good cause is established as provided in section 46-299, subsection H and department rules. A recipient who does not comply with the work activities requirements shall demonstrate compliance with the work activities requirements in order to continue benefit eligibility and to avoid sanctions.
3. The school enrollment and attendance requirements of section 46-292, subsection S.
4. The immunization requirements of section 46-292, subsection T.
B. In addition to subsection A of this section, the department shall impose a series of graduated sanctions as described in subsection D of this section if either of the following occurs:
1. The recipient voluntarily terminates paid employment without good cause as specified in rules adopted by the director.
2. An adult recipient uses, sells or possesses a controlled substance in violation of title 13 as specified in rules adopted by the director.
C. Noncompliance with one or more of the requirements listed in subsection A of this section during any calendar month is deemed to be a month of noncompliance and shall result in the sanctions prescribed in subsection D of this section. The department shall impose these graduated sanctions even if the instances of noncompliance do not occur in consecutive months.
D. The department shall impose the following sanctions:
1. For the first instance of noncompliance, the department shall reduce the household's cash assistance grant by fifty percent for one month.
2. For a second instance of noncompliance that occurs in a month other than the month in which the first noncompliance occurred and any instance of noncompliance thereafter, the department shall terminate the household's cash assistance grant for at least one month or until the household complies.