2017 Arizona Revised Statutes
Title 46 - Welfare
§ 46-297 Electronic benefit transfers; prohibitions; penalties; violation; classification; definitions
46-297. Electronic benefit transfers; prohibitions; penalties; violation; classification; definitions
A. A head of household who receives cash assistance pursuant to this article, or on behalf of another person, and any person authorized by the head of household shall not conduct an electronic benefit transfer card transaction at any of the following:
1. A liquor store.
2. A commercial horse racing or dog racing facility as defined in section 5-101.
3. A casino, gambling casino or gaming establishment or a gaming facility located on Indian lands pursuant to section 5-601.02.
4. An adult oriented entertainment establishment.
5. A medical marijuana dispensary.
B. In addition to the restrictions prescribed in subsection A of this section, a head of household who receives cash assistance pursuant to this article, or on behalf of another person, and any person authorized by the head of household may not use an electronic benefit transfer card to purchase lottery tickets.
C. It is unlawful for an adult oriented entertainment establishment to operate on the licensed or permitted premises an automatic teller machine or a point-of-sale terminal that accepts electronic benefit transfer cards issued under this title or that processes electronic benefit transfer card transactions. A violation of this subsection is a license violation.
D. The department shall notify electronic benefit transfer card recipients of the restrictions prescribed in this section.
E. A person who violates subsection A, B or C of this section is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor.
F. For the purposes of this section:
1. " Adult oriented entertainment establishment" means an entertainment business at which performers disrobe or perform in an unclothed state.
2. Casino, gambling casino and gaming establishment do not include either of the following:
(a) A grocery store that sells groceries, including staple foods, and that is located in the same building or complex as a casino, gambling casino or gaming establishment.
(b) Any other business that offers gambling or gaming activities incidental to the principal purpose of the business.
3. " Electronic benefit transfer card transaction" means the use of a credit or debit card service, automated teller machine or point-of-sale terminal or access to an online system for the withdrawal of cash assistance provided pursuant to this article or for the processing of a payment for merchandise or a service from cash assistance provided pursuant to this article.
4. " Liquor" means the following substances as defined in section 4-101:
(c) Distilled spirits.
(d) Spirituous liquor.
5. " Liquor store" means:
(a) A retail establishment that exclusively or primarily sells liquor, but does not include a grocery store that sells both liquor and groceries, including staple foods.
(b) An on-sale retailer as defined in section 4-101 if the on-sale retailer sells liquor in the original container for consumption off premises.
6. " Staple food" means food in any of the following categories except accessory food items such as coffee, tea, cocoa, carbonated and uncarbonated drinks, candy, condiments and spices:
(a) Meat, poultry or fish.
(b) Bread or cereals.
(c) Vegetables or fruits.
(d) Dairy products.