2017 Arizona Revised Statutes
Title 44 - Trade and Commerce
§ 44-6001 Definitions
In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. " Cash sale price" means the price stated in a retail installment contract or other memorandum furnished by a retail seller to a retail buyer in connection with a retail charge account agreement, for which the seller would have sold and the buyer would have bought the goods or services which are the subject matter of a retail installment transaction, if the sale had been a sale for cash. The cash sale price may include any taxes and charges for delivery, installation, servicing, repairs, alterations or improvements.
2. " Finance charge" means the amount payable by the buyer for the privilege of purchasing goods or services under a retail installment transaction. It does not include the amount, if any, charged for insurance premiums, delinquency charges, attorneys' fees, court costs or official fees.
3. " Goods" means all tangible chattels, except motor vehicles, money, things in action or intangible personal property other than merchandise certificates or coupons as described in this chapter. The term includes chattels which are to be affixed to real property as to become a part of it whether or not severable from it and merchandise certificates or coupons, issued by a retail seller, not redeemable in cash and to be used in the face amount instead of cash for goods or services sold by such seller.
4. " Holder" means:
(a) The retail seller of goods or services under a retail installment contract or retail charge account agreement.
(b) A person to whom a retail buyer owes an obligation arising from a retail installment transaction, whether directly or by assignment or other transfer.
(c) Any person entitled to the rights of a retail seller under a retail installment contract or retail charge account agreement.
5. " Motor vehicle" means any self-propelled device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn on a public highway, except:
(a) Devices which move upon or are guided by a track or travel through the air.
(b) The following, if not designed primarily for highway transportation, but which may incidentally be operated on a public highway:
(iv) Power shovels.
(v) Road machinery.
(vi) Agricultural machinery.
6. " Official fees" means:
(a) The amount of the fees prescribed by law for filing, recording or otherwise perfecting and releasing or satisfying a retained title, lien or other security interest created by a retail installment transaction.
(b) The premium for insurance in lieu of perfecting a security interest to the extent that the premium does not exceed the amount described in subdivision (a) of this paragraph that otherwise would be payable.
7. " Principal balance" means the cash sale price of the goods or services which are the subject matter of a retail installment contract plus any amounts included, if a separate identified charge is made and stated in the contract, for insurance and official fees, less the amount of the buyer's down payment in money or goods, or both.
8. " Retail buyer" or " buyer" means a person who buys goods or services from a retail seller.
9. " Retail charge account agreement" means an arrangement prescribing the terms of retail installment transactions which may be made from time to time in which a retail buyer purchases goods or services and in which a finance charge or delinquency charge may be computed in relation to the buyer's balance in the account.
10. " Retail installment contract" means an arrangement for a retail installment transaction except a retail charge account agreement or memorandum reflecting a sale made pursuant to such agreement. " Retail installment contract" may include a chattel mortgage, a conditional sale contract, any security agreement or any contract in the form of a bailment or lease if the bailee or lessee contracts to pay as compensation for the use of the bailed or leased goods a sum substantially equivalent to or in excess of the value of the goods and if it is agreed that the bailee or lessee is bound to or has the option of becoming the owner of the goods for no other or a nominal consideration upon full compliance with the provisions of the bailment or lease.
11. " Retail installment transaction" means any transaction in which a retail buyer purchases goods or services, excluding services purchased in connection with a lease, from a retail seller pursuant to a retail installment contract or a retail charge account agreement and under which the buyer agrees to pay for the goods and services in more than four installments or for which the payment of a finance charge may be required.
12. " Retail seller" or " seller" means a person regularly and principally engaged in the business of selling goods or services to retail buyers.
13. " Services" means work, labor, or services of any kind.