2017 Arizona Revised Statutes
Title 33 - Property
§ 33-801 Definitions
In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. " Beneficiary" means the person named or otherwise designated in a trust deed as the person for whose benefit a trust deed is given, or the person's successor in interest.
2. " Business day" means any day other than a Saturday or a legal holiday.
3. " Cash" means United States currency.
4. " Contract" means a promise or a set of promises for the breach of which the law gives a remedy, or the performance of which the law in some way recognizes as a duty, including but not limited to a note, a promissory note or provisions of any trust deed.
5. " Credit bid" means a bid made by the beneficiary in full or partial satisfaction of the contract or contracts which are secured by the trust deed. Such credit bid may only include an amount up to the full amount of the contract or contracts secured by the trust deed, less any amount owing on liens or encumbrances with interest which are superior in priority to the trust deed and which the beneficiary is obligated to pay under the contract or contracts or under the trust deed, together with the amount of other obligations provided in or secured by the trust deed and the costs and expenses of exercising the power of sale and the sale, including the trustee's fees and reasonable attorney fees actually incurred.
6. " Force majeure" means an act of God or of nature, a superior or overpowering force or an event or effect that cannot reasonably be anticipated or controlled and that prevents access to the sale location for conduct of a sale.
7. " Parent corporation" means a corporation which owns eighty per cent or more of every class of the issued and outstanding stock of another corporation or, in the case of a savings and loan association, eighty per cent or more of its issued and outstanding guaranty capital.
8. " Trust deed" or " deed of trust" means a deed executed in conformity with this chapter and conveying trust property to a trustee or trustees qualified under section 33-803 to secure the performance of a contract or contracts, other than a trust deed which encumbers in whole or in part trust property located in Arizona and in one or more other states.
9. " Trust property" means any legal, equitable, leasehold or other interest in real property which is capable of being transferred, whether or not it is subject to any prior mortgages, trust deeds, contracts for conveyance of real property or other liens or encumbrances.
10. " Trustee" means an individual, association or corporation qualified pursuant to section 33-803, or the successor in interest thereto, to whom trust property is conveyed by trust deed. The trustee's obligations to the trustor, beneficiary and other persons are as specified in this chapter, together with any other obligations specified in the trust deed.
11. " Trustor" means the person conveying trust property by a trust deed as security for the performance of a contract or contracts, or the successor in interest of such person.