2013 Arizona Revised Statutes
Title 42 - Taxation
§ 42-6105; Version 2 County transportation excise tax; counties with population of one million two hundred thousand or more persons
42-6105. County transportation excise tax; counties with population of one million two hundred thousand or more persons
(L13, Ch. 255, sec. 22. Eff. 1/1/15)
A. If approved by the qualified electors voting at a countywide election, a county with a population of one million two hundred thousand or more persons shall levy and the department shall collect a tax as provided by this section, in addition to all other taxes.
B. The tax shall be levied and collected:
1. At a rate of not more than ten per cent of the transaction privilege tax rate prescribed by section 42-5010, subsection A applying, as of January 1, 1990, to each person engaging or continuing in the county in a business taxed under chapter 5, article 1 of this title.
2. At a rate of not more than ten per cent of the rate prescribed by section 42-5352, subsection A.
3. On the use or consumption of electricity or natural gas by retail electric or natural gas customers in the county who are subject to use tax under section 42-5155, at a rate equal to the transaction privilege tax rate under paragraph 1 of this subsection applying to persons engaging or continuing in the county in the utilities transaction privilege tax classification.
C. The tax levied under this section shall be in effect for a term of twenty years.
D. The net revenues collected under this section shall be distributed and deposited as follows for use consistent with the regional transportation plan adopted under title 28, chapter 17, article 1:
1. 56.2 per cent to the regional area road fund pursuant to section 28-6303 for freeways and other routes in the state highway system, including capital expense and maintenance.
2. 10.5 per cent to the regional area road fund pursuant to section 28-6303 for major arterial streets and intersection improvements, including capital expense and implementation studies.
3. 33.3 per cent to the public transportation fund pursuant to section 48-5103 for:
(a) Capital costs, maintenance and operation of public transportation classifications.
(b) Capital costs and utility relocation costs associated with a light rail public transit system.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arizona may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.