2013 Arizona Revised Statutes
Title 42 - Taxation
§ 42-5402 Levy of tax
42-5402. Levy of tax
A. A prepaid wireless telecommunications E911 excise tax is levied on every seller in an amount of eight-tenths of one per cent of the gross proceeds of sales or gross income derived from the retail sale of prepaid wireless telecommunications service.
B. The seller is liable for the tax imposed under this section. The amount of tax may be separately stated on the invoice, receipt or other similar document that is provided to the consumer by the seller or otherwise disclosed to the consumer. The seller may retain three per cent of the amount of tax collected before remitting the tax to the department.
C. For the purpose of determining the location of a retail sale of prepaid wireless telecommunications service under this article, a retail sale of prepaid wireless telecommunications service occurs in this state if:
1. The retail sale of prepaid wireless telecommunications service is completed in person at a business location in this state.
2. If paragraph 1 of this subsection does not apply, the product is delivered to the consumer at an address in this state.
3. If paragraphs 1 and 2 of this subsection do not apply, the seller's records that are maintained in the ordinary course of business indicate that the consumer's address is located in this state and the seller's records are not made or kept in bad faith.
4. If paragraphs 1, 2 and 3 of this subsection do not apply, the consumer gives the seller an address in this state during the completion of the sale, including the consumer's payment instrument if no other address is available, and the address is not given in bad faith.
5. If paragraphs 1 through 4 of this subsection do not apply, the wireless telephone number is associated with a location in this state.
D. The amount of tax that is paid by a seller shall not be included in the tax base for computing any transaction privilege, sales, use, franchise or other similar tax or fee, however denominated, that is imposed by this state, any political subdivision of this state or any intergovernmental agency.
E. The tax levied under this section shall be the only E911 funding obligation for prepaid wireless telecommunications service in this state. This state, any political subdivision of this state or any intergovernmental agency shall not levy any other similar tax or fee, however denominated, on any seller or consumer for the sale, purchase, use or provision of prepaid wireless telecommunications service for the purpose of funding E911 service.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arizona may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.