2013 Arizona Revised Statutes
Title 42 - Taxation
§ 42-5102 Tax exemption for sales of food; nonexempt sales
42-5102. Tax exemption for sales of food; nonexempt sales
A. Except for the gross proceeds of sales or gross income from the sale of food for consumption on the premises, the taxes imposed by this chapter do not apply to the gross proceeds of sales or gross income from sales of food by any of the following:
1. A retailer who conducts an eligible grocery business.
2. A retailer who conducts a business whose primary business is not the sale of food but who sells food which is displayed, packaged and sold in a similar manner as an eligible grocery business.
3. A retailer who sells food and does not provide or make available any facilities for the consumption of food on the premises.
4. A retailer who conducts a delicatessen business either from a counter which is separate from the place and cash register where taxable sales are made or from a counter which has two cash registers which are used to record taxable and tax exempt sales or a retailer who conducts a delicatessen business and who uses a cash register which has at least two tax computing keys which are used to record taxable and tax exempt sales.
5. A retailer who is a street or sidewalk vendor and who uses a pushcart, mobile facility, motor vehicle or other such conveyance.
6. Vending machines and other types of automatic retailers.
B. The taxes imposed by this chapter do not apply to the gross proceeds of sales or gross income from sales of food by a state university or community college or its designee on its campuses to students using a validated meal ticket or to patients purchasing or consuming food at the Arizona health sciences center.
C. The taxes imposed by this chapter do not apply to the gross proceeds of sales or gross income from sales of food by a retailer to:
1. A regularly organized private or parochial school that offers an educational program for grade twelve or under which may be attended in substitution for a public school pursuant to section 15-802.
2. A child care facility that is licensed under section 36-882 or a child care group home certified under section 36-897.01.
3. A facility which provides on a regular basis care and supervision of persons who, because of age or a mental or physical condition, are incapable of caring for themselves and where they are unaccompanied by their custodians or guardians for periods of less than twenty-four hours a day.
4. An organization which is tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the internal revenue code and which provides the articles to persons with a nominal charge or without a monetary charge.
5. A prison, jail or other institution under the jurisdiction of the state department of corrections, the department of public safety, the department of juvenile corrections or a county sheriff for consumption on the premises.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arizona may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.