2013 Arizona Revised Statutes
Title 42 - Taxation
§ 42-5071; Version 2 Personal property rental classification
42-5071. Personal property rental classification
(L13, Ch. 255, sec. 14. Eff. 1/1/15)
A. The personal property rental classification is comprised of the business of leasing or renting tangible personal property for a consideration. The tax does not apply to:
1. Leasing or renting films, tapes or slides used by theaters or movies, which are engaged in business under the amusement classification, or used by television stations or radio stations.
2. Activities engaged in by the Arizona exposition and state fair board or county fair commissions in connection with events sponsored by such entities.
3. Leasing or renting tangible personal property by a parent corporation to a subsidiary corporation or by a subsidiary corporation to another subsidiary of the same parent corporation if taxes were paid under this chapter on the gross proceeds or gross income accruing from the initial sale of the tangible personal property. For the purposes of this paragraph, " subsidiary" means a corporation of which at least eighty per cent of the voting shares are owned by the parent corporation.
4. Operating coin-operated washing, drying and dry cleaning machines or coin-operated car washing machines at establishments for the use of such machines.
5. Leasing or renting tangible personal property for incorporation into or comprising any part of a qualified environmental technology facility as described in section 41-1514.02. This paragraph shall apply for ten full consecutive calendar or fiscal years following the initial lease or rental by each qualified environmental technology manufacturer, producer or processor.
6. Leasing or renting aircraft, flight simulators or similar training equipment to students or staff by nonprofit, accredited educational institutions that offer associate or baccalaureate degrees in aviation or aerospace related fields.
7. Leasing or renting photographs, transparencies or other creative works used by this state on internet websites, in magazines or in other publications that encourage tourism.
B. The tax base for the personal property rental classification is the gross proceeds of sales or gross income derived from the business, but the gross proceeds of sales or gross income derived from the following shall be deducted from the tax base:
1. Reimbursements by the lessee to the lessor of a motor vehicle for payments by the lessor of the applicable fees and taxes imposed by sections 28-2003, 28-2352, 28-2402, 28-2481 and 28-5801, title 28, chapter 15, article 2 and article IX, section 11, Constitution of Arizona, to the extent such amounts are separately identified as such fees and taxes and are billed to the lessee.
2. Leases or rentals of tangible personal property that, if it had been purchased instead of leased or rented by the lessee, would have been exempt under:
(a) Section 42-5061, subsection A, paragraph 8, 9, 12, 13, 25, 29, 49 or 54.
(b) Section 42-5061, subsection B, except that a lease or rental of new machinery or equipment is not exempt pursuant to:
(i) Section 42-5061, subsection B, paragraph 13 if the lease is for less than two years.
(ii) Section 42-5061, subsection B, paragraph 21.
(c) Section 42-5061, subsection J, paragraph 1.
(d) Section 42-5061, subsection N.
3. Motor vehicle fuel and use fuel that are subject to a tax imposed under title 28, chapter 16, article 1, sales of use fuel to a holder of a valid single trip use fuel tax permit issued under section 28-5739 and sales of aviation fuel that are subject to the tax imposed under section 28-8344.
4. Leasing or renting a motor vehicle subject to and upon which the fee has been paid under title 28, chapter 16, article 4.
5. Amounts received by a motor vehicle dealer for the first month of a lease payment if the lease and the lease payment for the first month of the lease are transferred to a third-party leasing company.
C. Sales of tangible personal property to be leased or rented to a person engaged in a business classified under the personal property rental classification are deemed to be resale sales.
D. In computing the tax base, the gross proceeds of sales or gross income from the lease or rental of a motor vehicle does not include any amount attributable to the car rental surcharge under section 28-5810 or 48-4234.
E. Until December 31, 1988, leasing or renting animals for recreational purposes is exempt from the tax imposed by this section. Beginning January 1, 1989, the gross proceeds or gross income from leasing or renting animals for recreational purposes is subject to taxation under this section. Tax liabilities, penalties and interest paid for taxable periods before January 1, 1989 shall not be refunded unless the taxpayer requesting the refund provides proof satisfactory to the department that the monies paid as taxes will be returned to the customer.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arizona may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.