2013 Arizona Revised Statutes
Title 42 - Taxation
§ 42-17106 Expenditures limited to budgeted purposes; transfer of monies
42-17106. Expenditures limited to budgeted purposes; transfer of monies
A. Except as provided in subsection B, a county, city or town shall not:
1. Spend money for a purpose that is not included in its budget.
2. Spend money or incur or create a debt, obligation or liability in a fiscal year in excess of the amount stated for each purpose in the finally adopted budget for that year, except as provided by law, regardless of whether the county, city or town has received at any time, or has on hand, monies or revenue in excess of the amount required to meet expenditures, debts, obligations and liabilities that are incurred under the budget.
B. A governing body may transfer monies between budget items if all of the following apply:
1. The monies are available.
2. The transfer is in the public interest and based on a demonstrated need.
3. The transfer does not result in a violation of the limitations prescribed in article IX, sections 19 and 20, Constitution of Arizona.
4. A majority of the members of the governing body votes affirmatively on the transfer at a public meeting.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arizona may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.