2013 Arizona Revised Statutes
Title 42 - Taxation
§ 42-16214 Refund or credit of excess payments

AZ Rev Stat § 42-16214 (through 1st Reg Sess 51st Leg. 2013) What's This?

42-16214. Refund or credit of excess payments

A. If judgment is awarded to a taxpayer who paid the taxes to the county treasurer:

1. The county treasurer of the county in which the property is located shall pay the judgment out of monies collected from property taxes during the next fiscal year, unless there are sufficient amounts available in funds budgeted for that purpose by the county to allow an immediate refund, or, if both parties agree, the amount of the judgment may be credited toward any taxes that may be remaining due on the property that is the subject of the appeal, subject in either case to the approval of the board of supervisors.

2. The amount of the judgment shall be subtracted from the amounts due to taxing jurisdictions in the next fiscal year in proportion to the amount each received from the appellant's overpayment of taxes. The affected taxing jurisdictions shall include in their budgets for the next fiscal year the proportional amount of the judgment for which each is liable. Any increase in the budget because of the portion of the judgment being included is not subject to any budget limitation that may be prescribed by law.

3. Interest at the legal rate on the overpayment or underpayment is payable from the date of overpayment or underpayment. For the purpose of computing interest under the judgment, if the tax was paid in installments, a pro rata share of the total overpayment or underpayment is considered to be attributable to each installment.

B. A judgment in favor of an appellant who paid the taxes to the department shall be paid from the state general fund.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arizona may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.