2019 Alaska Statutes
Title 47. Welfare, Social Services, and Institutions
Chapter 17. Child Protection
Sec. 47.17.022. Training.
(a) A person employed by the state or by a school district who is required under this chapter to report abuse or neglect of children shall receive training on the recognition and reporting of child abuse and neglect.
(b) Each department of the state and school district that employs persons required to report abuse or neglect of children shall provide
(1) initial training required by this section to each new employee within 45 days after the first day of employment, and to any existing employee who has not received equivalent training; and
(2) appropriate in-service training required by this section as determined by the department or school district.
(c) Each department and school district that must comply with (b) of this section shall develop a training curriculum that acquaints its employees with
(1) laws relating to child abuse and neglect;
(2) techniques for recognition and detection of child abuse and neglect;
(3) agencies and organizations within the state that offer aid or shelter to victims and the families of victims of child abuse or neglect;
(4) procedures for required notification of suspected abuse or neglect;
(5) the role of a person required to report child abuse or neglect and the employing agency after the report has been made; and
(6) a brief description of the manner in which cases of child abuse or neglect are investigated by the department and law enforcement agencies after a report of suspected abuse or neglect.
(d) Each department and school district that must comply with (b) of this section shall file a current copy of its training curriculum and materials with the Council on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault. A department or school district may seek the technical assistance of the council or the Department of Health and Social Services in the development of its training program.
(e) Each school district that provides training under this section shall provide notice to public and private schools located in the school district of the availability of the training and invite volunteers who are required to report abuse or neglect of children under AS 47.17.020 to participate in the training at no cost to the volunteer.