2019 Alaska Statutes
Title 18. Health, Safety, Housing, Human Rights, and Public Defender
Chapter 76. Alaska Avalanche Warning System
Sec. 18.76.010. Participation in statewide avalanche warning system.
The Department of Public Safety, acting in cooperation with a municipality or with an agency of the federal government, shall participate in the development and implementation of a statewide avalanche warning system and shall represent the state in the operation of that system. The statewide system shall
(1) establish and maintain a service center and primary and supplementary field stations to gather information and data concerning ground weather conditions, snow pack, and avalanche activity;
(2) forecast snow avalanche conditions throughout the state;
(3) coordinate a public awareness program on avalanche danger;
(4) catalog a comprehensive atlas of avalanche paths and slide occurrences; and
(5) assist local governments and state agencies in identifying hazardous avalanche zones and in developing snow avalanche zoning regulations.