2017 Alaska Statutes
Title 3. Agriculture, Animals, and Food
Chapter 05. Powers and Duties of Commissioners of Natural Resources and Environmental Conservation
Sec. 03.05.011. Powers of commissioner of environmental conservation.
(a) To carry out the requirements of this title relating to animals or animal products over which the department has jurisdiction, the commissioner may
(1) issue orders or permits relating to or authorizing the examination, inspection, testing, quarantine, or embargo of animals or animal products, or premises containing or having contained animals or animal products, in order to prevent the spread of pests or contagious or infectious disease;
(2) conduct tests, analyses, and hearings to determine whether to issue an order or permit relating to animals or animal products under this section;
(3) cooperate with federal, state, municipal, and other governmental agencies regarding powers and duties under this section;
(4) issue orders or permits relating to or authorizing the custody, care, or destruction of animals or animal products to prevent the spread of pests or contagious or infectious disease;
(5) designate points of entry for the admission of animals or animal products into the state; and
(6) issue orders or permits relating to, or authorizing the examination, testing, or care of, animals or animal products to be transported into, within, or from this state, in order
(A) to prevent the spread of pests or contagious or infectious disease; or
(B) to promote safe or sanitary conditions for the animals or animal products to be transported.
(b) The commissioner may
(1) adopt a schedule of fees or charges, and credit provisions, for services related to animals and animal products rendered by state veterinarians to farmers and others at their request, and all the receipts from the fees and charges shall be transmitted to the commissioner for deposit in the state treasury;
(2) designate individuals, independently or in cooperation with federal, state, municipal, or other governmental agencies, to carry out and enforce, under the direction of the state veterinarian, the requirements of this title relating to animals or animal products over which the department has jurisdiction;
(3) enter into agreements with the federal government for controlling disease among animals and match federal payments for animals destroyed under those agreements from any appropriation available for this purpose;
(4) pay an owner of an animal destroyed under this section an amount from any appropriation available for this purpose; and
(5) adopt regulations under AS 44.62 (Administrative Procedure Act) to implement and interpret this section; when adopting regulations under this paragraph, the commissioner shall give substantial weight to the typical practices and standards in the state and in the United States of the industry for which the regulations are designed.
(c) Before taking custody of or destroying an animal or animal product under (a)(4) of this section, or imposing a quarantine, placing an embargo, or taking another action under this section that deprives a person of an animal or animal product, the department shall provide for notice and an opportunity to be heard to the owner or person in possession of the animal or animal product, unless the commissioner determines there is an immediate threat to the health or safety of an animal or the public.
(d) Nothing in this section affects the authority of another agency of this state.
(e) In this section,
(1) "commissioner" means the commissioner of environmental conservation;
(2) "department" means the Department of Environmental Conservation.