2023 Code of Alabama
Title 24 - Housing.
Chapter 1 - Housing Authorities.
Article 4 - Regional and Consolidated Housing Authorities.
Section 24-1-112 - Procedure for Adoption of Resolution Authorizing Operation of Housing Authority in Municipality.

Universal Citation: AL Code § 24-1-112 (2023)

Section 24-1-112

Procedure for adoption of resolution authorizing operation of housing authority in municipality.

No governing body of a municipality shall adopt a resolution as provided in Sections 24-1-103 or 24-1-111 declaring that there is a need for a housing authority, other than a housing authority established by such municipality, to exercise its powers within such municipality, unless a public hearing has first been held by such governing body and unless such governing body shall have found, in substantially the following terms: That unsanitary or unsafe inhabited dwelling accommodations exist in such municipality or that there is a shortage of safe or sanitary dwelling accommodations in such municipality available to persons of low income at rentals they can afford and that these conditions can be best remedied through the exercise of the aforesaid housing authority's powers within the territorial boundaries of such municipality; provided, that such findings shall not have the effect of thereafter preventing such municipality from establishing a housing authority or joining in the creation of a consolidated housing authority or the increase of the area of operation of a consolidated housing authority. The clerk, or the officer with similar duties, of the municipality shall give notice of the public hearing, and such hearing shall be held in the manner provided in Section 24-1-23 for a public hearing by a council to determine the need for a housing authority in the municipality. During the time that, pursuant to these findings, a housing authority has outstanding, or is under contract to issue, any evidences of indebtedness for a project within the municipality, no other housing authority may undertake a project within such municipality without the consent of said housing authority which has such outstanding indebtedness or obligation.

(Acts 1943, No. 541, p. 512, §10.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.