2022 Code of Alabama
Title 43 - Wills and Decedents' Estates.
Chapter 8 - Probate Code.
Article 3 - Intestate Succession.
Section 43-8-41 - Share of the Spouse.
Share of the spouse.
The intestate share of the surviving spouse is as follows:
(1) If there is no surviving issue or parent of the decedent, the entire intestate estate;
(2) If there is no surviving issue but the decedent is survived by a parent or parents, the first $100,000.00 in value, plus one-half of the balance of the intestate estate;
(3) If there are surviving issue all of whom are issue of the surviving spouse also, the first $50,000.00 in value, plus one-half of the balance of the intestate estate;
(4) If there are surviving issue one or more of whom are not issue of the surviving spouse, one-half of the intestate estate;
(5) If the estate is located in two or more states, the share shall not exceed in the aggregate the allowable amounts under this chapter.
(Acts 1982, No. 82-399, §2-102.)