2021 Code of Alabama
Title 6 - Civil Practice.
Chapter 5 - Actions.
Article 6 - Illegal Liquor and Drug Sales; Penalties.
Section 6-5-71 - Right of Action of Wife, Child, Parent, or Other Person for Injury in Consequence of Illegal Sale or Disposition of Liquor or Beverages.

Universal Citation: AL Code § 6-5-71 (2021)

Section 6-5-71

Right of action of wife, child, parent, or other person for injury in consequence of illegal sale or disposition of liquor or beverages.

(a) Every wife, child, parent, or other person who shall be injured in person, property, or means of support by any intoxicated person or in consequence of the intoxication of any person shall have a right of action against any person who shall, by selling, giving, or otherwise disposing of to another, contrary to the provisions of law, any liquors or beverages, cause the intoxication of such person for all damages actually sustained, as well as exemplary damages.

(b) Upon the death of any party, the action or right of action will survive to or against his executor or administrator.

(c) The party injured, or his legal representative, may commence a joint or separate action against the person intoxicated or the person who furnished the liquor, and all such claims shall be by civil action in any court having jurisdiction thereof.

(Acts 1909, No. 191, p. 63; Code 1923, §§5674, 5675; Code 1940, T. 7, §§121, 122.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.