2021 Code of Alabama
Title 12 - Courts.
Chapter 20 - Judicial and Other Public Records.
Article 2 - Judicial Records.
Section 12-20-29 - Substitution of Lost, etc., Papers or Records in Civil Cases - How Made - After Determination of Action or Proceeding.

Universal Citation: AL Code § 12-20-29 (2021)

Section 12-20-29

Substitution of lost, etc., papers or records in civil cases - How made - After determination of action or proceeding.

If, after the determination of any civil action or proceeding, the original papers, or any part thereof pertaining thereto, which are not of record are lost, mislaid, destroyed or mutilated, if the record of such papers with such papers should be lost, mislaid, destroyed or mutilated or if the record of any judgment or decree of any judicial proceeding or quasi-judicial proceeding, or any part thereof, should be lost, mislaid, destroyed or mutilated, any party in interest may, on application in writing, stating the facts, accompanied with the substitute proposed of such lost, mislaid, destroyed or mutilated paper or record, verified by affidavit, obtain an order of substitution. If the adverse party is of full age, of sound mind and a resident of the state, notice of the application and a copy thereof, accompanied with a copy of the proposed substitute, must be served on him at least 10 days before the session of the court in which such application is made. If he is of unsound mind or an infant residing in the state, notice must be served on his guardian or, if he has no guardian, upon the person with whom he resides or in whose care or custody he may be; but, if such party, whether he is of full age and sound mind, an infant or of unsound mind, resides without the state or his residence is unknown, upon affidavit stating the facts, the register, or the clerk of the court or the probate judge, must make and enter an order of publication as to such party and cause notice to be given by publication for three successive weeks in some newspaper published in the county or, if there is no such newspaper, in a newspaper published in an adjoining county. If the adverse party is of unsound mind or an infant, the court must appoint a guardian ad litem to represent and defend for him. On the hearing, the court may receive affidavits and counter affidavits as to the correctness of the proposed substitute.

(Code 1876, §§554, 556; Code 1886, §658; Code 1896, §2649; Code 1907, §5741; Code 1923, §10134; Code 1940, T. 7, §10.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.