2021 Code of Alabama
Title 12 - Courts.
Chapter 1 - General Provisions.
Section 12-1-8 - Cases in Which Courts May Issue Attachments and Inflict Summary Punishment for Contempt.
Cases in which courts may issue attachments and inflict summary punishment for contempt.
The powers of the several courts in this state to issue attachments and inflict summary punishment for contempts shall not extend to any other cases than:
(1) Disrespectful, contemptuous or insolent behavior in court, tending in any way to diminish or impair the respect due to judicial tribunals or to interrupt the due course of trial;
(2) A breach of the peace, boisterous conduct, violent disturbance or any other act calculated to disturb or obstruct the administration of justice, committed in the presence of the court or so near thereto as to have that effect;
(3) The misbehavior of any officer of the court in his official transactions or the disobedience or resistance of any officer of the court, party, juror, witness or any other person to any lawful writ, process, order, rule, decree or command thereof;
(4) Deceit or the abuse of the process of the proceedings of the court by any person or party or any unlawful interference with the processor proceedings of the court;
(5) Refusing to be sworn or to answer, either in the court or before the grand jury, any lawful question as a witness or garnishee;
(6) When summoned as a juror in a court, improperly conversing with a party to an action to be tried at such court or with any other person in relation to the merits of such action or receiving a communication from a party or other person, in respect to it, without immediately disclosing the same to the court; or
(7) Conversing with a juror, knowing him to be such, in relation to the merits of any action which he is engaged in the trial of or supplying any juror with refreshments of any kind, except water, during the time he is engaged in the trial of any cause, without leave of the court.
(Code 1852, §561; Code 1867, §637; Code 1876, §542; Code 1886, §648; Code 1896, §2638; Code 1907, §4630; Code 1923,§8574; Code 1940, T. 13, §2.)