2020 Code of Alabama
Title 9 - Conservation and Natural Resources.
Chapter 2 - Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.
Article 1 - General Provisions.
Section 9-2-2 - Powers and Duties Generally.
Powers and duties generally.
The general functions and duties of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources shall be as follows:
(1) To protect, conserve, and increase the wildlife of the state and to administer all laws relating to wildlife and the protection, conservation, and increase thereof.
(2) To make exploration, surveys, studies, and reports concerning the wildlife, state parks and monuments and historical sites in the state and to publish such thereof as will be of general interest.
(3) To maintain, supervise, operate, and control all state parks, monuments and historical sites, except Mound State Monument and the First White House of the Confederacy; the serving and employing of attendants for all monuments and historical sites located on state-owned property in the City of Montgomery shall be performed by the Department of Finance.
(4) To maintain, supervise, operate, and control all state lands other than those specifically committed to the use or control of some other department, board, bureau, commission, agency, office, or institution of the state.
(5) To cooperate with and enter into cooperative agreements and stipulations with the Secretary of Agriculture of the United States, other states, or any other federal or state officer or department, board, bureau, commission, agency, or office thereunto authorized with respect to wildlife restoration projects, the carrying on of an educational program in connection therewith, the collection and publication of data with respect to wildlife, state parks and the monuments and historical sites or any other matters committed to the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources by this title or otherwise by law and to make and enforce all regulations and restrictions required for such cooperation, agreements, or stipulations.
(6) To carry on a program of education and public enlightenment with respect to the wildlife and other natural resources, state parks and the monuments and historical sites of Alabama.
(7) To make an annual report to the Governor concerning the activities and accomplishments of the department for the preceding fiscal year.
(8) To recommend to the Legislature such legislation as may be needed further to protect, conserve, increase, or to make available or useful the wildlife and other natural resources, state parks and the monuments and historical sites of Alabama.
(Acts 1939, No. 162, p. 255, §3; Code 1940, T. 8, §2; Act 2009-724, p. 2165, §1.)