2020 Code of Alabama
Title 41 - State Government.
Chapter 23 - Department of Economic and Community Affairs.
Article 9 - Healthy Food Financing Act.
Section 41-23-151 - Definitions.
For the purposes of this article, the following words have the following meanings:
(1) DEPARTMENT. The Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs.
(2) FINANCING. Loans or grants.
(3) GROCERY STORE. A for-profit or nonprofit self-service retail establishment that primarily sells meat, seafood, fruits, vegetables, dairy products, dry groceries, household products, and other healthy or fresh food retailers.
(4) LOW INCOME AREA. A census tract, as reported in the most recently completed decennial census published by the U.S. Bureau of the Census, that has a poverty rate of at least 20 percent or in which the median family income does not exceed 80 percent of the greater of the statewide or metropolitan median family income.
(5) MODERATE INCOME AREA. A census tract in which the median family income is between 81 and 95 percent of the median family income for the area.
(6) UNDERSERVED COMMUNITY. A census tract determined to be an area with low supermarket access by either the U.S. Department of Agriculture, as identified in the USDA's Food Access Research Atlas, or through a methodology that has been adopted for use by another governmental or philanthropic healthy food initiative.
(Act 2015-240, §2.)