2020 Code of Alabama
Title 41 - State Government.
Chapter 23 - Department of Economic and Community Affairs.
Article 12 - Alabama Public Transportation Act
Section 41-23-195 - Advisory Committee - Membership.
Advisory committee - Membership.
(a) There is created the Alabama Public Transportation Fund Advisory Committee for the purpose of advising the director and staff of the department with respect to the administration of the trust fund; provided, however, all decisionmaking authority remains with the department.
(b) The advisory committee shall consist of the following members:
(1) A member of the House of Representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
(2) A member of the Senate appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate.
(3) The Lieutenant Governor or his or her designee.
(4) A representative of the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) appointed by AARP Alabama.
(5) A representative of the Department of Senior Services appointed by that department.
(6) A representative of the Alabama Association of Regional Councils appointed by that organization.
(7) A representative of the Community Action Association of Alabama appointed by that organization.
(8) A representative of the Disability Rights and Resources in Birmingham, the Montgomery Center for Independent Living, or the Independent Living Center of Mobile, jointly appointed by those organizations.
(9) A representative of the Transit Citizens Advisory Board of Birmingham appointed by that organization.
(10) An individual who regularly uses public transportation to be appointed by the Governor from a list jointly provided by Greater Birmingham Ministries and Alabama Arise.
(11) A representative of the Alabama League of Municipalities appointed by that organization.
(12) A representative of the Alabama Association of County Commissions appointed by that organization.
(13) A representative of the Alabama Transportation Association appointed by that organization.
(c) To avoid a conflict of interest or the appearance of a conflict of interest, no sitting advisory committee organization may apply for trust fund dollars during its time on the advisory committee. If an affiliate organization applies for funding, the related advisory committee organization shall recuse itself from any discussion or voting on the application.
(d) Each member of the advisory committee shall serve a three-year term with the exception of the initial members. The initial members shall draw lots to determine the three members who shall serve for three years, the three members who shall serve for two years, and the three members who shall serve for one year.
(e) Each term on the advisory committee shall expire on September 30 of the year in which the term expires. When this occurs, the applicable appointing authority shall appoint a new member or reappoint the current member. If a vacancy occurs, an appointment shall be made within 90 days to fill the vacancy for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(f) Membership of the advisory committee shall be inclusive and reflect the racial, gender, geographic, urban/rural and economic diversity of the state. The advisory committee shall annually report to the Legislature by the second legislative day of each regular session the extent to which the membership of the advisory committee complies with the diversity provisions of this section.
(g) The advisory committee shall elect from its membership a chair, vice chair, and secretary. The advisory committee shall adopt rules to govern its proceedings. A majority of the membership of the committee shall constitute a quorum for all meetings.
(h) The advisory committee shall meet within 30 days after the members are appointed and thereafter shall hold regular meetings. Minutes of each meeting of the advisory committee shall be signed and kept by the secretary or an assistant secretary appointed by the advisory committee.
(i) The director may remove a member of the advisory committee only for neglect of duty; an unexcused failure to attend more than one of the regularly scheduled meetings held in a calendar year during the term in office of the member; malfeasance; a violation of this article, or the conviction of a felony.
(j) Members of the advisory committee shall receive reimbursement for expenses incurred in the performance of duties, as approved by the director.
(Act 2018-161, §6.)