2020 Code of Alabama
Title 38 - Public Welfare.
Chapter 9A - In-Home Services and Equipment for Persons With Developmental Disability.
Section 38-9A-4 - Community Councils.
(a) Each regional council shall sanction in accordance with state and regional council policies and procedures local area affiliate councils within its region, to be known as community councils, for the purpose of implementing the Individual and Family Support Program at the local community level.
(b) Each community council shall be composed solely of people with disabilities and their family members. Members shall be appointed by the respective community councils, within the criteria established by the regional councils. Membership shall be distributed equitably throughout the local community area and shall be representative of the prevalent developmental disabilities.
(c) Each community council shall perform the following duties:
(1) Determine specific eligibility criteria within the broad criteria set by the regional council.
(2) Receive applications for support funding from individuals, families, and service programs, and select recipients.
(3) Authorize and disburse funding for approved recipients within the funds available.
(4) Collect and evaluate support data, including consumer and family satisfaction, for planning purposes, and coordinate with other local and regional service planning efforts.
(5) Adhere to the constitution and bylaws as developed by the regional council.
(6) Adhere to the principles of subsection (b) of Section 38-9A-2.
(Acts 1993, No. 93-334, p. 507, §4; Acts 1997, No. 97-421, p. 709, §1.)