2019 Code of Alabama
Title 8 - Commercial Law and Consumer Protection.
Chapter 19 - Deceptive Trade Practices.
Section 8-19-7 - Exemptions.
Nothing in this chapter shall apply to:
(1) Acts done by the publisher, owner, agent or employee of a newspaper, periodical, radio, or television station or telephone company in the publication or dissemination of an advertisement, which the owner, agent, or employee did not have knowledge of the false, misleading or deceptive character of the advertisement;
(2) Any seller of goods or services who meets all the following requirements:
a. Has disseminated advertisement or promotional material from a manufacturer, packer, distributor, or other seller, from whom he has purchased the goods or services, unless the seller knew the advertisement or promotional material to be false or misleading; and
b. On the request of the Attorney General or district attorney, provides the name and address of the manufacturer, packer, distributor or other seller from whom he has purchased the goods or services; and
c. On the request of the Attorney General or district attorney, agrees in writing to discontinue dissemination of such false and misleading material;
(3) Any person or activity which is subject to the provisions of the Alabama Insurance Code, Title 27, as amended, or any bank or affiliate of a bank which is regulated by the State Banking Department of Alabama, the Comptroller of the Currency of the United States, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, or to any person or activity which is subject to the provisions of Title 10, Chapter 4, Article 6, or to the regulated activities of any utility, telephone company or railroad which is regulated by the Alabama Public Service Commission;
(4) Any violation of the Federal Consumer Credit Protection Act (15 U.S.C. §1601 et seq.);
(5) Any activity which is subject to the provisions of the Securities Act of Alabama, Chapter 6 of this title or to the provisions of the Sale of Checks Acts, Chapter 7 of this title; or to the provisions of Article 5 of Chapter 6 of this title (relating to a notification procedure for the issuance of certain industrial revenue bonds).
(6) For purposes of this section, the burden of proving exemption from the provisions of this chapter shall be upon the person claiming the exemption.(Acts 1981, No. 81-355, p. 510, §7.)