2019 Code of Alabama
Title 45 - Local Laws.
Chapter 36 - Jackson County.
Article 18 - Highways and Bridges.
Section 45-36-180.04 - Duties of county engineer.
It shall be the duty of the county engineer, subject to the approval of the majority of the Jackson County Commission:
(1) To employ, supervise, and direct all such assistants as are necessary to properly maintain and construct the public roads, highways, bridges, and ferries of the county, and he or she shall have authority to describe their duties, and to discharge employees for cause, or when not needed.
(2) To perform such engineering and surveying services as may be required, and to repair and maintain the necessary maps and records.
(3) To maintain the necessary accounting records to reflect the cost of the county highway system.
(4) To build or construct any roads, or change old roads and specifications.
(5) It shall be his or her further duty, insofar as it is feasible, to construct and maintain all county roads on the basis of the county as a unit, without regard to any district, quadrant, or beat lines.
(6) To utilize the county convict labor.
(7) To construct and maintain driveways to and within active public cemeteries within Jackson County. The Jackson County Commission shall have the authority to determine whether cemeteries are an active public cemetery in which driveways to and within may be constructed and maintained. The total repair or construction cost shall not exceed one thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500) per active cemetery per year, nor more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000) in any 10-year period beginning on March 1, 1990.
(8) To receive, maintain, and keep current subdivision plats and all buried utility maps.
(9) To weigh vehicles on county highways.
(10) To grant authority for any excavation on the rights-of-way along county highways.
(11) To prescribe and enforce specifications for the construction of any new roads.
(12) To actively seek available state and federal funds at the request of the county commission.
(13) To supervise the county garbage system.
(14) To report on a weekly basis to the chair of the county commission and report regularly to the county commission as a whole.
(15) To construct and maintain school bus turn-arounds upon the recommendation of and approval of the Jackson County Commission.(Act 79-825, p. 1557, §5; Act 88-293, p. 451, §1; Act 90-100, p. 110, §1.)