2019 Code of Alabama
Title 38 - Public Welfare.
Chapter 3 - Department of Senior Services.
Section 38-3-8 - Powers and responsibilities of the department.
The Department of Senior Services shall:
(1) Be the designated state agency to administer programs of the federal government relating to the aged, requiring action within the state, that are not the specific responsibility of another state agency under federal or state statutes and to administer programs for the aged when designated as an operating agency by another state agency. The department may not take over from another state agency any of the specific responsibilities held by such other state agency nor may the department withhold from another state agency any state or federal funds designated for programs administered by that agency. The department shall be the state agency to administer funds granted by the federal government under the "Older Americans Act of 1965," 42 U.S.C. §3001, as amended, except for programs administered by another state agency. The department shall cooperate with federal and state agencies, counties, municipal corporations, and private agencies or facilities within the state in furtherance of the purposes as set forth in this chapter.
(2) Advise, consult, and coordinate with other state agencies upon request which are proposing plans, programs, and rules primarily affecting persons 60 years of age or older.
(3) Plan, initiate, coordinate, and evaluate statewide programs, services, and activities regulated by the department for elderly people which are not duplicative of services, programs, and activities provided by other state agencies.
(4) Disseminate information concerning the problems of elderly people and establish and maintain a central clearinghouse of information on public programs at all levels of government that would be of interest or benefit to the elderly.
(5) Report annually to the Governor and the Legislature on the programs of the department.
(6) Have authority to contract with public or private groups to perform services for the department.
(7) Adopt rules pursuant to the Alabama Administrative Procedure Act to govern the operation of services and facilities for the elderly that are regulated by the department and determine that those services and facilities are operated in conformity with these rules.
(8) Determine the needs of the elderly and provide information on their needs to all levels of government.
(9) Report immediately any suspected abuse, neglect, and exploitation to the Department of Human Resources as a mandatory reporter as specified in Section 38-9-8.(Act 2008-398, p. 787, §2.)