2019 Code of Alabama
Title 34 - Professions and Businesses.
Chapter 14A - Home Building and Home Improvement Industries.
Section 34-14A-5 - Licenses required; exceptions; fees.
THIS SECTION WAS AMENDED BY ACT 2018-143 IN THE 2018 REGULAR SESSION, EFFECTIVE MAY 1, 2018. THIS IS NOT IN THE CURRENT CODE SUPPLEMENT.
(a) (1) All residential home builders shall be required to be licensed by the Home Builders Licensure Board annually. The board may issue more than one type of license.
(2) The board may issue licenses that vary in scope of work authorized, including, but not limited to, licenses without limitation and with limitation.
(3) The board may issue licenses that vary in requirements for licensure, including, but not limited to, evidence of experience and ability and financial responsibility, as determined by the cost of the undertaking.
(4) The board may charge varying fees for licenses.
(b)(1) Except as provided in this chapter, all licenses shall be issued or renewed upon the payment to the board of the annual license fee. The annual license fee shall be set by the board after it considers its cost of operation. The annual fee may be increased or decreased by the board but in no event shall the board set the annual fee at an amount which would not provide sufficient revenues to pay all the salaries, costs, and expenses incurred by the board in enforcing this chapter and promoting public health, safety, welfare, and consumer protection.
(2) The board may also charge application processing fees, inactive license fees, late fees, and fees for education requirements. The inactive fees may be waived for building officials. The board may, upon request in writing, refund fees, except the application processing fee, paid by an applicant who is denied a license or who fails to complete the application process. No fees shall be refunded to a licensee as a result of a license revocation.
(3) The annual license fee shall be for a period of 12 months beginning January 1 of each year. All license fees collected by the board shall be paid into the State Treasury to the credit of the Home Builders Licensure Board Fund and its funds shall be subject to withdrawal only upon warrant of the state Comptroller to be issued upon certification of the secretary or treasurer of the board.
(c) Any funds remaining in the State Treasury to the credit of the Home Builders Licensure Board Fund at the end of each year shall be paid into the General Fund of the state on or before January 15, and in each succeeding year, except that should the board exercise its authority to establish the Homeowners' Recovery Fund or the Home Builders Property Acquisition Fund, or both, as provided in this chapter, any funds remaining in the State Treasury to the credit of the Home Builders Licensure Board Fund shall be paid into the Homeowners' Recovery Fund or the Home Builders Property Acquisition Fund, or both, of the board. The board may maintain sufficient funds to carry out the purposes of the Homeowners' Recovery Fund and the Home Builders Property Acquisition Fund, as set forth in Sections 34-14A-15 and 34-14A-18, including, but not limited to, the transfer of funds between the Homeowners' Recovery Fund and the Home Builders Property Acquisition Fund. The board, at all times, may retain a sum sufficient to meet any emergency that may arise which may affect its efficient operation.
(d) No funds shall be withdrawn or expended except as budgeted and allocated according to Sections 41-4-80 to 41-4-96, inclusive, and 41-19-1 to 41-19-12, inclusive, and only in amounts as stipulated in the general appropriations bill or other appropriations bills.(Acts 1992, No. 92-608, p. 1282, §5; Acts 1997, No. 97-250, p. 457, §3; Act 2002-72, p. 163, §1; Act 2006-105, p. 136, §1; Act 2018-143, §1.)